Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default at what point do i use lethal force in a car chase

in light of what happened last night i have a few questions. to start here is what happened, after working on my truck all evening i decided to take my friend home, i proceed to drive to his house and when i pulled out onto the main road in town, a vehicle pulled out behind me and came up very close to my bumper (3-6 feet away) i proceeded to accelerate to a reasonable speed and he stayed right behind me. he then turned his high beams on. i turned down a road near where my friend lives and he turned in behind. in response i decided not to stop at my friends house and proceeded to return home, when i turned back onto the main road this person spun his wheels accelerating behind me. he then started to swerve back and forth sharply behind me while keeping that 3-6 foot distance. i then turned onto a back road to head home and this person is still following. at this point i begin defensive driving and start rolling through stop signs. then he begins to pass me on the left. at this point i though maybe he was planning on shooting me, so i slammed on the brakes and he continued flying up the road. i then made a b line for my house, i get within two blocks and he comes back behind me, at this point i have no idea what this kids m o is so i drove as fast as i could into my drive way and pull up as close as i could to the door run inside (my friend right behind me) run into my gun room load my ak and go back out to the living room. all this driving took place in about 2.5 miles.

so my question is should i have done anything differently, and what would have had to happen to justify lethal force.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: at what point do i use lethal force in a car chase

I know Avis isn't really a metro area, but I think I might have tried either driving to the police station (or PSP barracks) or a more populated area. You don't want this goof knowing where you both live.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Allegheny County)

If you think that you are facing a potentially lethal threat and you cannot safely retreat.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by DCChris View Post
    I know Avis isn't really a metro area, but I think I might have tried either driving to the police station (or PSP barracks) or a more populated area. You don't want this goof knowing where you both live.
    my first thought was "get to my guns" felt this was more important than him seeing where i live sense i was pretty sure he already knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    If you think that you are facing a potentially lethal threat and you cannot safely retreat.
    what would indicate a lethal threat and be defendable in court

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by idpasharpshooter View Post
    what would indicate a lethal threat and be defendable in court
    Did you think there was an imminent, credible threat that would cause you serious injury or death that you could not safely retreat from?
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Montgomery County)

You don't. If you engage in a gun battle from a moving car, you had best have John Cameron hovering above you with a StediCam. If the other driver disables your vehicle; if you are cornered and have no place to flee, evaluate your situation.

I didn't notice in your story when either you or your friend called 911. You know, to report the driver, and to log a complaint or to summon help. I'm all about keeping you and yours safe, but if someone starts shooting from a moving vehicle, they are the bad guy, circumstances be damned. To many variables, to easy to injure a bystander. My opinion, but yikes.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Centre County)

1.I might suggest you call the police.

2.If the person following you would continue to do so in a well lit area get a description of the car.

3.Seems like this person might know you or your friend judging from your story.

4.Get yourself some training before you decide it's a good idea to try to shoot somebody from your moving vehicle.

5.This is just my opinion, but I am pretty sure the use you vehicle is or was the best weapon in this situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

def shouldnt have gone to your house that was a big mistake, take him for a drive to the police station next time. Call 911.

people take roadrage to the next level to often when its not justified. it'd be next to impossible to prove you couldnt flee when in a car

Why didn't you have a weapon with you?

(Northampton County)

And what exactly was the person that was chasing you doing when you ran inside to get your guns?

Sorry this story seems to be missing something here. Did he go away when you went inside ? You don’t have a LCTF ?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast