Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: guns in autos

(Wayne County)

Default guns in autos

How many of you keep a gun in each of your vehicles locked up just for emergency? Not including your carry piece.

(Chester County)

Default Re: guns in autos

Nope. I don't leave a gun in the car, ever.
    Μολὼν λάβε

We have to park our car in a municipal lot at the end of our street. No driveway, and no overnight parking on our little road.

Every morning we go to the car, I'm always mildly surprised to find the windows unbroken. So, no, no guns in our car unattended.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Wayne County)

Even if the gun is in a handgun safe? I know if they want it bad enough it won't stop them.

(Chester County)

I never leave my gun in the car for a few reasons:

1. I don't want it to get stolen. If it does I am sure that I would lose my LTCF
    2. My wife doesn't have her LTCF and I don't want her getting in the car and forget that it is there.

(Allegheny County)

This is one of those personal decisions, like whether or not to lock them up if you have kids. It depends on the situation, I guess.

Personally, I won't leave one in a vehicle unless I have no choice.
    Cars are not exactly "secure" from unauthorized entry, and I'd hate to see even a POS "truck gun" in the hands of someone who broke in looking for CDs and stereo equipment.

Nope. I eliminate the worry about "needing it" in an emergency(in the car), by carrying it ON me all the time.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveXD View Post
    2. My wife doesn't have her LTCF and I don't want her getting in the car and forget that it is there.
    She may be exempt (I agree #1 is a pretty good reason, but not necessarily legal grounds for a LTCF revocation):
    6106(b)(13)
    (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

No, only my carry piece when I can't take it with me.

(Allegheny County)

Interesting question, likewise the responses. Let me begin by saying that where I was living out West, it was almost impossible to find a vehicle without a firearm in it. Most people who owned a pistol kept it out of sight but always within reach (under the seat, in the center console, etc), but inside their vehicle. That way, you never were without it when you needed it and you didn't have to worry about carrying it to and from your vehicle. It was something I never really thought about, but the same could be said of auto theft.

Now that I am back East, I can see the quandary. I can fully understand most people not wanting to leave any more valuables in their vehicle then is absolutely necessary. However, there are distinct advantages to always having it in the car (you never forget it and you are less likely to attract any attention transporting it to and from). Personally, I feel rather naked without a pistol in the car and I look forward to getting my LTCF so I return to the practice.

This does bring up a legal question:
    You secure a pistol in your vehicle and the vehicle is burglarized or stolen. If the pistol was found by the perpetrator and/or used in the commission of a future crime, could you be charged with criminal negligence?
    - Steve

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    Interesting question, likewise the responses. Let me begin by saying that where I was living out West, it was almost impossible to find a vehicle without a firearm in it. Most people who owned a pistol kept it out of sight but always within reach (under the seat, in the center console, etc), but inside their vehicle. That way, you never were without it when you needed it and you didn't have to worry about carrying it to and from your vehicle. It was something I never really thought about, but the same could be said of auto theft.

Now that I am back East, I can see the quandary. I can fully understand most people not wanting to leave any more valuables in their vehicle then is absolutely necessary. However, there are distinct advantages to always having it in the car (you never forget it and you are less likely to attract any attention transporting it to and from). Personally, I feel rather naked without a pistol in the car and I look forward to getting my LTCF so I return to the practice.

This does bring up a legal question:
    You secure a pistol in your vehicle and the vehicle is burglarized or stolen. If the pistol was found by the perpetrator and/or used in the commission of a future crime, could you be charged with criminal negligence?

I can't see how it would be negligent if you lock it in your car. Even if you carry all the time there is still going to be a place where you can't bring your gun and therefore you have to secure it in your vehicle. That's being responsible not negligent. Just my opinion

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast