Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philly jury duty. I'm taking the bus, can I check my firearm at the courthouse?

I've been selected for jury duty in Philly, and would rather not drive my car. I plan on taking Septa there. My jury summons simply states that weapons are not allowed on premises, with no mention of a firearms check.

I do not want to ride the bus/subway without my pistol. Does the courthouse have a procedure for checking my firearm at the door?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Philly jury duty. I'm taking the bus, can I check my firearm at the courthouse?

Yes.Or, they should have.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Philly jury duty. I'm taking the bus, can I check my firearm at the courthouse?

I was there for the same thing, I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a sign for it, but I was not a gun owner at the time so it wasn't that important to me. Call them
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisBickle View Post
    I've been selected for jury duty in Philly, and would rather not drive my car. I plan on taking Septa there. My jury summons simply states that weapons are not allowed on premises, with no mention of a firearms check.

I do not want to ride the bus/subway without my pistol. Does the courthouse have a procedure for checking my firearm at the door?
    If it's a PA court they are legally required to let you check your firearm in a locker.

If it's a federal court, leave it at home, no way you're allowed to take it in there and it cannot be checked.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisBickle View Post

Yes. After you check your cell phone, get in line to go through the metal detector. Right before you get to it, there will be a door to your left. That is the weapons room. There are individual lockers in there for your gun. Just make sure you have your LTCF with you, they will ask for it before allowing you in.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tourture View Post
    Yes. After you check your cell phone, get in line to go through the metal detector. Right before you get to it, there will be a door to your left. That is the weapons room. There are individual lockers in there for your gun. Just make sure you have your LTCF with you, they will ask for it before allowing you in.
    I inquired about this last time I was there for jury duty. They to told me next time, go to the officer on duty at the front desk right away and ask to check your firearm in. I think it's is the safest thing to do instead of wandering around trying to figure out where the room is or getting in line to go through the metal detector (IIRC there are 2 of them). Most likely, they will let you skip line.

Al

(Centre County)

Thumbs down Re: Philly jury duty. I'm taking the bus, can I check my firearm at the courthouse?

On a related note: I do not know the rules for SEPTA but in State College PA, CATA has a NO weapons policy under their "Rider Conduct" section. "Violators may be subject to exclusion from service or arrest."

Please check!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Guns on SEPTA is fine, they would rather nobody carried but do not discriminate against LTCF holders exercising their rights.

CJC does have a weapon check room with a "POLICE ONLY" sign over it, but they are required by law to let you check your firearm. AFAIK you shouldn't have a problem doing so.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheF00L View Post
    On a related note: I do not know the rules for SEPTA but in State College PA, CATA has a NO weapons policy under their "Rider Conduct" section. "Violators may be subject to exclusion from service or arrest."

Please check!!!
    There are no state laws prohibiting carrying on state public transportation. This one is explicitly about carrying on SEPTA (and it's a resounding YES that you can):
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...rry-septa.html

Al

(Centre County)

This one is explicitly about carrying on SEPTA
    I did understand the question -
    I do not know the rules for SEPTA
    Just wanted the OP to be sure.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast