Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Help locating two Taurus Snubbies

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Taurus snubby in a .357 5 shot titanium model. I've narrowed it down to the 605sh2 (regular hammer) or a 651shc which is a zero profile hammer but according to the Taurus site it's discontinued. I haven't decided if I want the zero profile or regular but right now, I can't locate either.

I sent an email to Chris at advanced arms and am waiting to hear back but doesn't anyone have any other leads? I found a site called kiesler.com that listed both but apparently only sell to LEOs.

Also - any recommendation on zero profile vs regular hammer. I don't want the concealed hammer because I want the option for DA as well as SA.

thanks!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Help locating two Taurus Snubbies

I always recommend rugular spurred hammers. You can always dremmel it off later and still manipulate it for single action when you want by slightly depressing the trigger until you can get a hold of it. As far as where to get it......Harrisburg Farm Show Complex. This weekend there is a gun show and I think they have 700 vendors. If there isnt one there I would be very surprised. Now get ready for all the comments on how you should save some more money and get a Ruger or Smith. And dont forget about the guy who will usually chime in with " just get a Glock instead ". Good luck.

(Wayne County)

Unfortunately, I can't get down there this weekend (I'm about 2.5 hours away from H'Burg) so I guess I'm stuck trying to source one elsewhere. I actually like Taurus. I have a 6" barrel Judge with Ribber grips that I love and my husband has a semi auto in .40 S&W..... We both have semi auto's for carry and are looking for a small wheel gun.

(Philadelphia County)

I dont mean to offend, But what is wrong with a Smith and Wesson?
    Peter.

(Wayne County)

Nothing at all that I know of, in fact I have a .38 +p snubby that's a S&W but it's not conducive to carry, it's blued, and a special edition with rosewood grips and gold accents. But right now, I can't in my mind justify paying extra money just to have S&W stamped on the side when I have good experience with Taurus.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by watson524 View Post
    Nothing at all that I know of, in fact I have a .38 +p snubby that's a S&W but it's not conducive to carry, it's blued, and a special edition with rosewood grips and gold accents. But right now, I can't in my mind justify paying extra money just to have S&W stamped on the side when I have good experience with Taurus.
    Try Gunbroker, AuctionArms, and GunsAmerica. See if you can get one cheap enough to offset the cost of shipping and an FFL transfer. Sometimes you can. A quick search yielded:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=118125677

I used to be wary of buying and selling guns online, but I've gotten some good deals (both ways).

My second piece of advice is to make sure you get the right ammo. The ballistics of .357 mag go to hell in a short barrel. It doesn't matter what velocity is printed on the box if the test gun had a 4" barrel, which it almost certainly did. A hardcast round made for higher velocities, fired at a lower velocity from a snub is just going to shoot flames out the barrel, make a lot of noise, and completely fail to expand. The only two loads I know of that are supposedly tailored for a snub nose are the Speer Golddot SBR (short barrel revolver) and Remington Golden Sabre 125 gr.

Also, while you seem pretty set on a Taurus Ti I guess I'll be "that guy" and ask 1. why don't you get a used S&W for the same price instead? 2. are you sure you want a five or six shot snubby that light in a cartridge that hot?

I've owned and/or shot, both all steel (Ruger sp101, S&W 640) revolvers and "lightweight" aluminum ones (S&W 442/642 Taurus 85), and I pretty much concluded I'd never go lighter than 19 oz in a magnum. The ballistics overlap with .38 special in that short of a barrel anyway.

Good luck.