Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ammo question.

Question Ammo question.

I picked up a 9mm Luger. What are some good ammo choices?

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ammo question.

Are you literally talking about a german P08 luger in 9mm, or are you simply talking about a handgun chambered in 9x19mm? For an actual C&R gun from WWII or earlier, I'd make sure you get it looked at by a gunsmith before firing. For ammo I'd say to try any 115 gr. FMJ. Make sure it's standard pressure 9x19mm and not marked +p or +P+.

If you just mean the 9x19mm cartridge, it depends on the purpose.

Sorry... it's a Hi-point Model C9

Ammo for Self defense rounds.

Thanks Panther.

ah the question for self defense rounds for the 9mm... I was in the same boat at you not to long ago.. and all the responses i read to previous posts were well.. you had some ppl that were die hard fans of one brand.. so of course they would sugguest that brand however after reading so much using the search engine by the forum members that are power posters( seem to post alot and know a heck of alot more than me) sugguest a good modern day design hollow point, that shoots well out of your gun. Only you can see what functions flawlessly out of your gun and how they hit on the target.. so its best that you if you can afford to pick up a few brands and check for yourself.. my 9mm is a compact and liked the 147 grains, i picked up a box at wallmart for around 18 bucks of the wwb personal defense.. they hit very consistant on paper and functions in my gun however i did order some federals HST off the net waiting to recieve them to see how they shoot.. that brand seems to be the most talked about and you can search the forums and find some pictures that fellow members posted of how they expand.
    Good luck on whatever you choose and hopefully you'll never have to see how they preform on a real person.

(Lycoming County)

(Serious Question) Are Hi-Points rated for +P ammo?
    If so I used the federal Hydroshocks.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Pike County)

I do not want to jump into the kick the Hi Point boat, but with them as with any autoloader you will have to test fire with different loads to find one that is 100% reliable in your gun.
    For carry ammo in most of my autoloaders I use Corbon PowRBall. Not sure, it may be a bit hot for the HP.
    Don't forget a good break in for the gun, I use 200 rounds of ball for this, then test for function.

(Cambria County)

I also have a C9...They claim that they are +p rated, but they also claim about how accurate and reliable they are. Mine will usually fire a couple shots then stovepipe or just totally jam while feeding...May just need a new mag though, spring seems worn. or it just doesn't like the FMJ Winchester's i dunno thats all i've ever put through it... as for accuracy im not the best shooter but i know im better with any other gun than that one

(Allegheny County)

A hi-point. Yeah, I'd stick with standard pressure ammo, nothing +P. It wouldn't blow up or anything, but you would be really putting wear and tear on a pistol that isn't really built for it.

The best 9mm defense loads that aren't +P would probably be either a Federal HST 147 gr, or the Winchester Ranger "T" in 147 gr. Both are usually marked as "LE" rounds but in Pennsylvania there is nothing illegal about civilians owning or using them. They are just less likely to be in stock at your neighborhood sporting goods store or small gunshop.

You can probably get them online.

One site to check, though they may not be in stock right now is:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php

There are a lot of 124 gr. +P loads that are good, but I'd stick with standard pressure 147gr, as a general rule, given the pistol you have.

If you can't find the Winchester Ranger T, or Federal HST, the following are easier to find at gunshops etc:

Hornady TAP
    Speer Golddot LE
    Remington Golden Saber
    Federal Hydrashok

For target shooting you don't have to use the good stuff, but try to buy cheaper ammo that has about the same muzzle velocity and weight (grains) as the ammo you use for protection. That way it should have roughly the same recoil etc.

Whatever you get should be tested out in the gun and perform flawlessly if you are going to stake your life on it.

JIMHO. Hope that's helpful

Thumbs up Re: Ammo question.

Thanks for all the great information!
    Now I need to find an indoor range in Clarion to get a feel of the 9mm.

(Cumberland County)

Go buy yourself some winchester at walmart. Buy a good couple hundred rounds and make sure you break that gun in. I have never owned a HiP but I hear from owners that they tend to stovepipe especially when new. Once you run a few hundred rounds start trying some of the non +p ammo that other members have listed. If you have a few stovepipes when breaking your gun in you should probably buy 100 rounds or more of defense cartridges. 50 to shoot, and 50 to keep if they shoot and cycle flawlessly. Keep in mind, if you ever had to use your gun in a situation you are in dire straights and you are going to be elevating the situation when you bring your gun into the mix. You better make sure its going to do what you need it to do.

I am not trying to get down on hi-points in any way. They are based on being an affordable firearm therefore they are not as polished as some of the more costly firearms out there and require a little more attention and break in. Pay careful attention to how your C9 is operating as you are breaking it in and have fun! Glad to see you are exercising your second amendment rights!