Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Need Help Understanding This Scope

I don't know much about scopes and I'm trying to figure out what this Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x55 mm is capable of. I believe it is Mil Dot reticle. What kind of distance should I be able to use this for? Does it have range finding capabilities and if so, how do you do that? When shooting distance do you figure the distance and adjust the up/down or do you hold the cross hairs over the target and place a lower dot on the target?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Centre County)

Default Re: Need Help Understanding This Scope

I'd go on line to the Leupold site and download the manual(s). It should tell you everything you want to know about the scope, using it as a range finder and how to use the reticle for determining the size of the object and the holdover.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I'd go on line to the Leupold site and download the manual(s). It should tell you everything you want to know about the scope, using it as a range finder and how to use the reticle for determining the size of the object and the holdover.
    I do have the manuals but I'm kind of slow at digesting the data. If it has range finding I didn't notice it but like I say, I'm a little lost with it. I'll dig through the manual and play with it some more and see if I can make any headway.

(Wayne County)

Don*t tell us your gonna put it on a BB gun? You should be good on any kind of a decent caliber out to as far as you want to shoot. I believe the MK4 is mils, new math for ya.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Don*t tell us your gonna put it on a BB gun? You should be good on any kind of a decent caliber out to as far as you want to shoot. I believe the MK4 is mils, new math for ya.
    That would be part of what I'm trying to figure out, along with how far will it see? Is 1000 yds out of the question?

(Allegheny County)

Walleye.

The leupold website may even have short videos of how that scope works, or if not, youtube itself may have some instructional vids.
    First thing ya know, 25 yards will come easy.

Leupold is sending me a custom dial for one of their scopes I got well over a year ago. A VX5HD.
    There are a few vids on how to set up and use it.
    Should be something there for what you have.

Ok.
    35 yards.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Venango County)

https://www.eabco.com/Reports/MildotRep01.htm that site explains mil dots and how to use them. With 14x magnification you can see 1000 yards, but things will be really small

Site says no longer available. These days not sure if that means out of stock or production.

(Chester County)

It looks like it has a mildot reticle and MOA turrets. I don't like that, but it is manageable. Also, the reticle is on the second focal plane, which means it's only correct at one (usually the highest) magnification setting (first focal plane scopes are more expensive and have their own set of "problems").

Yes, you can range with it. You have to know the size of the target or something near it. Basically, one mil is 3.6" at 100 yds, 7.2" at 200 yds etc. One MOA is 1" at 100 yds, 2" at 200 yds. etc. You have to do this at the right magnification or use a conversion factor for the magnification you're at. The turrets on this scope have .5 MOA clicks, so at 100 yds, one click will move your impact point 1/2" (.14 mils).

You can either dial in for the range and windage or do a holdover. Holdover is good for small on-the fly corrections, At longer ranges the holdover will be be more than you can see in the reticle. The same thing about magnification setting applies.

I suggest a program like Ballistic AE for your phone. It can be set to do the necessary calculation and give you the MOA dial in. It is also unbelievably accurate. I also have a Mildot Master in a pocket on my stock. It also gives you what you need for a MOA dial in. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNxpVBq0kng You can also just do the calculations and make a card with the right drop data for your rifle and load. I also have one of these in my stock pocket.

At 1000 yds, you will be able to clearly see targets, but you're not going to see holes in paper. The power range is right, as most long range guys shoot 1000 yds at 10x - 12x. More than that makes you crazy. This is a good quality scope. I'm sure you know that you need a good quality mounting arrangement installed properly. For 1000 yds, I would use a 20 MOA base.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Site says no longer available. These days not sure if that means out of stock or production.
    It's no longer made and the next gen of scope has taken its place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast