Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Home Defense - What do you do? (non-fantasy)

The other night something went bang in the house and woke up both me and my girlfriend. She wanted me to go check it out and 'clear the house'. I assumed (correctly) that it was her damn cat knocking stuff over and wanted to go back to sleep. She stayed freaked out until I went and looked around downstairs (barely awake).

We have an alarm and very creaky floors so I figure I'll know when there is someone in the house and if there was someone I think we'd be better off waiting in a defensible position, rather than get suprised coming around a corner.

What do you guys think?

If there was someone would you wait in one spot? Issue a verbal warning/threat and rack your shotgun or stay silent? I know the "rack shotgun" thing isn't too popular on gun boards but it sure scared the hell out of me and my friends in our junior high tresspassing phase.

I'd like to keep safe but also I don't really want to shoot anyone and want to expose myself to as little trouble, legal or otherwise as possible. Frankly, any decent burglar is going to see our 19" 1987 TV and filthy house and realize he's in the wrong place so we're probably talking about crackheads or rapists and the latter probably aren't interested in me.

What do you think? Anyone here handled a situation in their home?

I figured I'd ask here instead of on TFL because I didn't want a bunch of Texans telling me to shoot anything that moves even though that might solve the cat problem.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Home Defense - What do you do? (non-fantasy)

Texans don't "shoot anything that moves", even though we might recommend that action in an internet forum. I'd do what you suggest, if possible: remain in a defensible position, while the SO calls the cops. Don't go looking for a fight, unless you're Chuck Norris!

(Northampton County)

How long would you wait in this defensive position? You may be waiting all night especially if there is no bad guy. How would you know there is one or that he left by sitting and waiting.

Figure out your choice of defensive tool is, get a flash light and take a course on home defense. This will help you understand how to clear the house with you the tools you have and what to do and what not to do.

Personally I will be searching my house gun in hand and not waiting, I have kids to defend.

Edit: after rereading I would say that if I knew for sure there was some one then yes I would call the cops and make sure my position is between BG and the Kids and maintain that spot as best I could and keep the Wife on the phone.
    Last edited by jofreder; April 22nd, 2008 at 02:04 PM.

(Beaver County)

Oh! I missed the part about the kids! In that case, shoot anything that moves!

Yeah, first thing I do is relocate to my Daughter, or relocate my better half to my Daughter.

From there I will judge how to handle the situation.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Yeah, first thing I do is relocate to my Daughter, or relocate my better half to my Daughter.

From there I will judge how to handle the situation.
    my house layout would require me to make those choices at the moment. I could get my wife out of our room but she would have to sweep the kids from three other rooms. I could easliy just defend my stairs right outside my door.

I think it was here that some one else mentioned that they practice these drills in his house so he is familiar with what he would do. I may have to do that to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    Oh! I missed the part about the kids! In that case, shoot anything that moves!
    well...except the kids.

(Chester County)

I personally would put my self in the very best defensible position I could with myself between my child and family and the BG. Being silent is your very best defense, an unaware BG is an easy target for you to defend yourself against. Now I know in some houses this is not always possible due to room locations. Move silently and always take you doorways wide and don't forget the closets!!!! Stay behind your sights and if need be do what you have to defend your home family and self. There is a saying around here "Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6."

P.S.
    Watch over extending your gun, it is a good way to lose it.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Quote Originally Posted by jofreder View Post
    my house layout would require me to make those choices at the moment. I could get my wife out of our room but she would have to sweep the kids from three other rooms. I could easliy just defend my stairs right outside my door.

I think it was here that some one else mentioned that they practice these drills in his house so he is familiar with what he would do. I may have to do that to.
    The layout of my house makes this an easy move for me, but I've thought this out before.

If you have a semi-auto airsoft gun have someone randomly arrange paper plates at obvious and random spots in your house and you start from your bed with whatever condition you keep your pistol in.

Load the thing with as much ammo as you plan to carry.

It's a good exercise...try it in the dark if you can as well.

(Indiana County)

In MOUT training we were told to make sure we keep our weapons pointed in the same direction we are looking (in other words, don't be looking in one direction and pointing your muzzle in another).

Also, remember that stairways can be danger zones and beware of an attack from the top or bottom of them. Of course, that also means you might be able to turn it into a danger zone for the bad guy. Don't look around door frames or corners at standing height, stay low. I personally would try to take up a defensive position, but you may need to move through the house to defend family, move out of a danger zone, get to a phone, etc. It is safest to do that with a knowledgeable partner, but if that is impossible then buttonhook in hard right or left and take up a position in the corner, covering the room with your muzzle as you clear rooms. You have the advantage in knowing the floorplan of the house and where that loose board or shin-killing coffee table is.

I personally would try to take up a stationary position with loved ones behind me, behind cover and concealment and judge the unfolding situation from there.

I'm sure there others with more advanced training than I have who can speak to this issue with more expertise. YMMV depending on a lot of different factors such as initial positions, immediate threats posed, weapon available, floorplan, and so on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast