Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default AK upper handguard reassembly help?

This is an utterly silly request. I took the upper handguard off and sent the gun in for refinishing. I got everything back and for the life of my I cannot get the freakin' end piece to turn downward so I can put the wood back on atop the gas tube. I have a lousy workbench and bench vise, but I got it off. I am sure it has to do with the refinishing.

Here's the disassembly process (figure 8, 13, 14 near the bottom of the page) http://www.ultimak.com/AKStockR&R.htm#uphg . All I really need to do is to rotate the back of the gas tube like figure 13 again. Anyone in or near the Philly area who may be able to help? It's ridiculous, I know, but I've spent a good 20 minutes fighting the damn thing. Thanks.

Al

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: AK upper handguard reassembly help?

Possible that your wood swelled while it was off(happened to me in FL)? If so, you might want to figure out a means to dry it out.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Possible that your wood swelled while it was off(happened to me in FL)? If so, you might want to figure out a means to dry it out.
    Sorry for the confusion Knight. It's the metal end on the gas tube that needs to be rotated 180 degrees that is now stuck that I can't rotate. The wood itself is fine. Once the metal end is rotated, the wood can be placed in the slot and the metal piece is rotated back to hold the wood in place.

Al

They can be tight. You have to push the wood as close to the center axis as possible, so that the radius of the wood matches the radius of the metal. Otherwise, it's like trying to fit an egg in the carton sideways. You have to line up the metal arc with the wooden arc, so they're part of the same circle. It's a little bit like threading a bolt into a nut.

I'd clamp the gas tube in a vise at the flats. Push the wood on firmly, then slowly but FIRMLY start applying torque with both hands on the wooden handguard. Once it starts it should be OK. If it won't turn, look at the wood, see if the leading metal edge is taking a divot out of the wood.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    They can be tight. You have to push the wood as close to the center axis as possible, so that the radius of the wood matches the radius of the metal. Otherwise, it's like trying to fit an egg in the carton sideways. You have to line up the metal arc with the wooden arc, so they're part of the same circle. It's a little bit like threading a bolt into a nut.

I'd clamp the gas tube in a vise at the flats. Push the wood on firmly, then slowly but FIRMLY start applying torque with both hands on the wooden handguard. Once it starts it should be OK. If it won't turn, look at the wood, see if the leading metal edge is taking a divot out of the wood.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm one step behind that right now though. I still can't even turn the metal end on the gas tube 180 degrees. I didn't return it to the original position when removing the wood so the refinishing guy must have done it before doing the work.

Al

(Allegheny County)

So you can't get the wood into the retainers or the wood is in the retainers but you can't turn it?
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    So you can't get the wood into the retainers or the wood is in the retainers but you can't turn it?
    The retainer at the rear of the gas tube was turned to normal position without the wood in it during refinishing. All I'm looking to do is to turn it down 180 degree so I can slip the wood in. It seems that whatever was done during refinishing caused the retainer to be super tight and can't be turned.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    The retainer at the rear of the gas tube was turned to normal position without the wood in it during refinishing. All I'm looking to do is to turn it down 180 degree so I can slip the wood in. It seems that whatever was done during refinishing caused the retainer to be super tight and can't be turned.

Al
    Could they have refinished it with it that position? If so, it might be "lightly glued" in place by the finish. Try spraying it with WD-40, let is soak for a little while, and then work it lose a little.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Could they have refinished it with it that position? If so, it might be "lightly glued" in place by the finish. Try spraying it with WD-40, let is soak for a little while, and then work it lose a little.
    Will give that a shot tonight, maybe some heat too. I'll see if one of my neighbors has a better work bench and bench vise I can use. I got a crappy portable bench with a dinky vise for my small house (I don't have a workroom per se). Thanks.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Heat, as suggested previously, will be your salvation methinks.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast