Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Simple Group Shoot Format?

I'm looking to organize a fun shoot/cookout range day for a group people affiliated with my school (father-son/daughter type) as an end to a school-year long gun themed project. Some will know how to shoot etc., and I'm sure some will not, and may not have ever shot. That being said, I'm trying to figure out the format for the time we will spend at the range (wherever that may be).

What I was thinking so far was having a grill there and having some good eats, then this is where I need ideas. Perhaps I would do a simple shooting time where everyone just shoots, and those who don't know anything can be taught and mentored a little bit and get time behind a gun (with supervision). This would be a great learning time for those people. Other than that, what kind of structure should I have? Any ideas are much appreciated. I'm still looking for a location though... Need to have it in early-middle march).
    Last edited by StingyGunner; January 24th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Berks County)

Default Re: Simple Group Shoot Format?

I'd say start with a rundown on safety, range rules, etc. Those who already know will stand and nod, those who don't will learn something. Since you're all already standing together do the show of hands thing: Who has experience shooting, who doesn't, who wants to learn... and pair off experienced shooters with inexperienced for a little instruction. Talk to the people with exp in the days/weeks before and make sure they'll be bringing .22s for inexperienced people to start with. Big recoils will scare alot of people away, start them on something small to searn the basics and let them decide if they want to shoot something with "a little more kick."

From there do some "free form" shooting where people get to just shoot and try out each others guns, then follow it with shooting games (poker targets and such).

That's pretty much how the annual Fun Shoot at my range goes and everyone has a good time.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.