Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Anybody here ski?

Anybody here like to ski? The GF and I went skiing for the first time this season last friday at Blue Mountain. We really enjoyed it and look forward to going a lot more but those rental prices really add up. If someone could give me some ideas on good equipment and where to buy I would appreciate it. Our price range is around $400-$500 each. I know it's not cheap but in the long run it pays for itself.

Also this year Blue Mountain has implemented computers to sign up. You don't have to fill anything out anymore, just swipe your ID and it fills it out for you. I thought that was pretty cool. Except it didn't work for my GF because she has a Jersey ID and they don't have the strip on the back of them. Thanks in advance.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Anybody here ski?

I used to ski...until my skiing buddies moved away!

I also used to sell skis and equipment. But that was a decade ago, so I don't know what to recommend at this point. I've always been a fan of Dynastar and Solomon...

(Centre County)

Nope. I snowboard though.

Good idea getting your own equipment. You'll end up going a lot more often and will have a lot more fun.

I took the wife snowboarding once and she really liked it and wanted her own stuff. Now we have season passes and go every weekend. It almost makes winter tollerable.

Good luck!

(Monroe County)

I am a chaperone with my high school ski club. We go to blue Mt. and i get a seasonpass as a chaperone. I would suggest nestors in Whitehall they have good off season sales usually. Ski mania happens in august i think.

(Washington County)

Last time I went was about 11 years ago. Prior to that snowboards weren't allowed at seven springs. They tended to get in your way. I suspect the snowboarders outnumber the skiers now.

vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Lawrence County)

I WATER AND SNOW SKI... i love skiing.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Allegheny County)

Seven Springs has what they call the "Ski Swap" every year prior to the season where people buy/sell/trade ski/snowboard equipment. you mght want to check to see if Blue Mountain has something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    Last time I went was about 11 years ago. Prior to that snowboards weren't allowed at seven springs. They tended to get in your way. I suspect the snowboarders outnumber the skiers now.

vince
    I would say that it is close to 50-50. However most of the snowboarders are younger and snowboarding eventually will become more popular. I've never tried it, maybe I should, I'd hate to buy the ski equipment and regret not ever trying.

I used to ski, looooong ago. Hubby is in Colorado as we speak on a ski trip with 8 buddies. He called and told me I need to get back into skiing so we can go on a trip alone sometime. Dang.........I don't know if I really want to ski anymore. It was fun in HS but I did crazy skiing, and I am a bit old for that now.
    I'd much rather go out on a snow mobile.

(Delaware County)

I'm happy you and your girl enjoyed yourself!! Skiing can be expensive.

The swap thing works well, and you can find deals at the local ski shops, just don't skimp on boots and bindings. Go to place that will fit you to the boot.
    Beginners fall more so adjust the binding to no more than intermediate setting.
    Next year you can have it tightened.

I have skied everywhere! Each place has it's own ambiance. Travel around and try to avoid weekends. Mondays are great, low price and no one there. Also, some township librarys sell discount tickets.

Have fun and enjoy the winter weather!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast