Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Daylight Savings Time

why can't we just leave the damn clocks alone? no reason for it to be dark at 6pm...or earlier.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

No doubt. Drives me crazy.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

even worse this year because they started it different than usual so for the last week my computers have been changing the time so i almost had a few heart attacks..

I don't get it

I heard they did it for Halloween.
    In PA trick or treat starts at 6pm (at least here in Erie County), very unlike other states when it starts as soon as school lets out, 2 or 3 pm.
    This way the kids get an hour more of daylight to trick or treat.
    See it all makes sense now, doesn't it?

(Erie County)

The Children The Children The Children!!!

I got that extra hour of sleep, but I sure didn't notice it lol. 0600 is still 6am it didn't seem to make a difference lol. Maybe next year.

(Allegheny County)

Didn't the federal government pass a law lengthing DST this year (and subsequent years) because it would save energy somehow? Don't recall the details on it, just remember my boss complaining about it.

Works for me. I didn't get in until 3 AM from my road trip to Wheeling (Chiefs win 5-4 in OT!), so I gladly took the extra hour of sleep.
    "Pride and dignity are good, but only in moderation." P-11 Shooter

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I heard they did it for Halloween.
    In PA trick or treat starts at 6pm (at least here in Erie County), very unlike other states when it starts as soon as school lets out, 2 or 3 pm.
    This way the kids get an hour more of daylight to trick or treat.
    See it all makes sense now, doesn't it?
    Sorry Michele, that's an urban legend. I never thought that was the reason for the change but did think to myself now the kids won't be in the dark, in my neighborhood they waited until 7 so they could be in the dark I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by slicknick131 View Post
    Didn't the federal government pass a law lengthing DST this year (and subsequent years) because it would save energy somehow? Don't recall the details on it, just remember my boss complaining about it.

Works for me. I didn't get in until 3 AM from my road trip to Wheeling (Chiefs win 5-4 in OT!), so I gladly took the extra hour of sleep.
    Yes Nicky, that's exactly why the changes, three weeks earlier & one week later, to provide more day light somehow.

On Monday August 8, 2005 President Bush signed into law a broad energy bill (Energy Policy Act of 2005) that will extend Daylight Saving Time by four weeks in 2007. The provisions of the bill call for Daylight Saving Time to begin three weeks earlier on the second Sunday in March and end one week later on the first Sunday in November. Previously, Daylight Saving Time started on the first Sunday in April and ended on the last Sunday in October.

In 2007 when the provisions take effect Daylight Saving Time will begin on March 11 and end on November 4, 2007.

While polls indicate most people favor extending Daylight Saving Time there are opponents who fought against the extension. The airline industry has said it will cost millions of dollars to change schedules and some school systems have concerns that students will be waiting for the bus in darkness in the mornings. It is expected that school systems will issue advisories to both parents and students on how to handle these situations.

There have been many proponents of extending Daylight Saving Time, including operators of golf courses, theme parks and businesses providing outdoor activities.
    Daylight Saving Time Extended - Pros and Cons

Pros

Energy Savings - will possibly save 100,000 barrels of oil daily. People will turn interior and exterior lights on later in the day which will save electricity. Lighting for evening sports events can be turned on one hour later.
    Recreation Time - people will have more time to enjoy outdoor activities such as golf, tennis and theme parks.
    Farming - many farmers work part time and will have an extra hour to work after they arrive home. Full time farmers may not benefit.

Cons

School Children - will possibly wait in the pitch dark for the school bus. Example, in Louisville, Kentucky sunrise will occur at 8:01 on March 11, 2007, however, Louisville schools currently begin classes at 7:40 for middle and high school.
    Business - the airline industry claims it will cost millions of dollars to adjust schedules.
    Computers, Clocks and Gadgets - many electronic devices automatically adjust for day light saving time. Some of these devices will show incorrect times. Some computer software will have to be reprogrammed
    Previous Daylight Saving Time Provisions

Previously, in the United States, Daylight Saving Time began at 2:00 a.m. local time on the first Sunday in April. On the last Sunday in October areas on Daylight Saving Time returned to Standard Time at 2:00 a.m.

The names in each time zone change along with Daylight Saving Time. Eastern Standard Time (EST) becomes Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), and so forth. Some areas of the United States not using Daylight Saving Time include, Arizona, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa.

(Washington County)

We should just stay on it. I can get more done if the sun goes down later rather than rises sooner. Even during the summer, I'm driving to work in the dark in the morning (5:45ish), so sunrise don't matter to me.

I seem to remember that during WWII england stayed on daylight savings time throughout the winter, then turned the clocks ahead AGAIN the following spring to be on double daylight savings time.

As for trick or treat, around here it varies. In my hometown of Roscoe, it's always been during the day on Saturday after the parade. In the town we're moving to, Beallsville, it's during the day on Sunday. In Monongahela, they've been switching it around, but this year they had it from 6pm-8pm on Tuesday the 30th, then had the parade on the 31st.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Westmoreland County)

I hate it too...now it is dark on the way to work and dark on the way home! (Off course, I do work way too many hours! LOL)

(Allegheny County)

This time-switching crap was started by someone who doesn't have pets.

Try telling five cats and a dog "No, it's not 3:00, it's only 2:00"!!!

They are thinking "No, you dumb ass, our bellies say otherwise, and if you don't feed us now, we're gonna trip your ass on the stairs and eat your twisted, lifeless corpse, because we're not waiting an extra hour because some other dumb ass told you to turn the clock back!"

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast