Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Assoc. asking for donations

I got a call tonight from the PA Chiefs of Police Assoc. soliciting for donations. I asked them if the assoc. supported a citizens right to keep and bear arms. He said they couldn't give me an answer either way, but advised how I could donate after I researched it myself.

I scoured the internet for data on whether this assoc is pro-gun or anti. Their site does not say either way. I see that in their links are the International Assoc. of Chiefs of Poice & the PA Commission on Crime & Delinquency. It was easy to find out that the International Assoc. of Chiefs of Police was very anti, their 2007 Great Lakes Summit on Gun Violence calls for among other things, the return of the AWB, ballistic fingerprinting, 50 cal ban, repeal of the Tiahrt Ammend, ban on mulitple purchases etc. I was also able to find a news article that said someone from the PA Comm. on Crime & Delinq. supported 1 gun/month in a speech to the PA Chiefs of Police Assoc....

Just having links to these groups I didn't think was damning either way, so I kept looking. I was able to find a snippet google had cached from CeasefirePA and how the PA Chiefs of Police Assoc. endorsed renewing the AWB when it was about to expire. I also found that the PA Chiefs of Police Assoc. also filed an amicus brief in support of defending the PA handgun sales database (Allegheny Sportsmen's League et. al v Ridge).

What do you think? Are they anti, should I give? I will email their director and ask for their opinion on the current anti gun legislation being considered in PA (1 gun/month, reporting lost/stolen guns & allowing cities to enact their own gun laws). I wonder if I should even bother?
    Last edited by danp; November 29th, 2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: test

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Assoc. asking for donations

They called me several times last year, even though I'm on all the no-call lists, so I simply hung up on them. Then they called again when I wasn't home and spoke with my wife. She is from a country in which if the police call asking for money, you better give it. So she promised to donate. So I wrote to the attorney general's office and complained. They got me a written apology from the Chiefs of Police Assn. and a promise not to call again, and an explaination that the people calling were hired by them to do the calls, and had been a little too aggressive.

Once about ten years ago when they called I asked where they were calling from. They said Somerset, but my caller ID gave a number in Florida. When I brought this to his attention, he hung up on me.

(Dauphin County)

I donate to the Pennsylvania Fraternal Order Of Police for the last 3 years...

(Susquehanna County)

It is a safe bet that they are an Anti-rights group and I would not donate to them. They just don't have the moral fortitude to be open about it.

Bear in mind that most police chiefs are political appointees and most toe the line made by their Mayor or governing board

(Centre County)

I will not donate to the Chiefs of Police Assoc. because of past problems (calling when on do not call, saying they are from the local area but are not, etc, just like the above poster).

I do give to the local FOP (have many friends that belong) and the PA Sheriffs Assoc. I never been telephone solicited by them (it's the people I know that hit me up .
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Everyone should reference the American Rifleman Magizine ( December 2007 Issue, Pages 15 & 16)!
    If there affiliated with International Association of Cheifs of Police don't donate a wooden nickle!!!!!

(Bucks County)

I would have to agree with the previous posters. Do not donate. Not only are they anti, they are annoying as hell calling multiple times a year.

Seems to me last year there was a thing on the news on how the Police Chiefs association actually had very little to do with the group asking for donation.
    They send you a card, then a sticker with the booster logo, and the police chiefs said they saw nothing of this money.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Seems to me last year there was a thing on the news on how the Police Chiefs association actually had very little to do with the group asking for donation.
    They send you a card, then a sticker with the booster logo, and the police chiefs said they saw nothing of this money.
    From August 2006 click here

If you want to donate money, write a check to your local police department. You won't get a cool window sticker, but your money will go toward the service you get. Just my opinion.
    Jules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast