Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Long Guns & Vehicles

I know that my LTCF allows me to carry my Pistol loaded in the car, however does it apply at all to my long guns?

For example, could I keep my 12ga in a rack in the truck with shells in the magazine, or would it have to be unloaded?

Just curious...

Default Re: Long Guns & Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    I know that my LTCF allows me to carry my Pistol loaded in the car, however does it apply at all to my long guns?

For example, could I keep my 12ga in a rack in the truck with shells in the magazine, or would it have to be unloaded?

Just curious...
    That is a big NO-NO!
    Be glad it was me, I realize your new, it's been covered numerous times.
    Some here will make an example of you.
    Educate yourself! You came to the right place.

(Allegheny County)

your LTCF does not apply to long guns. it only applies to "firearms" as defined by the PA Uniform Firearms Act.

the definition is:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    you cannot legally keep a loaded long gun in your vehicle in PA (unless you are an LEO or fall under one of the other exceptions listed in the law).

the relevant section of law is:

§ 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.

(a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

(b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.
    you can see the entire PA UFA here:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...18/00.061..HTM

(Jefferson County)

No loaded longguns at all in a vehicle - exceptions for LEO's, military, etc.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    That is a big NO-NO!
    Be glad it was me, I realize your new, it's been covered numerous times.
    Some here will make an example of you.
    Educate yourself! You came to the right place.
    That's why I'm asking.... :P I'd rather ask a stupid question then do something stupid!

Now, for further clarification, can the shotgun be in a rack, but unloaded?

(Allegheny County)

Now, for further clarification, can the shotgun be in a rack, but unloaded?
    yes, but you have to go by the legal definition of "loaded" vs. "unloaded", not the common one.

the legal definition of loaded is:

"Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    if your shotgun has a detachable magazine (prolly doesn't, but just in case), i would not have any loaded magazines just laying around in the truck with you since the passenger compartment might be construed as the "container" holding the uncased shotgun and the loaded magazines.

i would suggest doing yourself a favor and printing out and reading the PA UFA from the link i posted above. it's really not that bad of a read even though it is a legal document.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; November 15th, 2007 at 04:46 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yes, but you have to go by the legal definition of "loaded" vs. "unloaded", not the common one.
    Thank you for the clarifications!

(Allegheny County)

you're welcome.

2 other things, though:

1. i see you are from pittsburgh. be aware that i would not be surprised if you were hassled by the pittsburgh police if you actually go driving around with an unloaded shotgun in the rack of your truck. you aren't doing anything illegal, but some police officers don't their a-hole from a hole in the ground when it comes to gun laws.

2. you should not take legal advice from anyone...including me...on the internet. while there are many of us who will do our best to help answer your questions, saying "LittleRedToyota on PAFOA told me..." won't help you in court. my suggestion is to read the law for yourself. go ahead and ask questions and allow the answers to guide your research, but don't just take anyone's word for it. (having said that, since you are new to the site, i will say that rule10b5, gunlawyer001, and steve in pa are three people who are generally spot on with their advice about gun laws.)

and finally....welcome to PAFOA!!
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; November 15th, 2007 at 04:50 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    1. i see you are from pittsburgh. be aware that i would not be surprised if you were hassled by the pittsburgh police if you actually go driving around with an unloaded shotgun in the rack of your truck. you aren't doing anything illegal, but some police officers don't their a-hole from a hole in the ground when it comes to gun laws.
    So I've heard, though I've been open carrying in the city now for aobut a week, and CC'ing for 4 months now without any hassles, and one of the places I eat often usually has one or two COP Officers there on their 30's...

2. you should not take legal advice from anyone...including me...on the internet.
    my suggestion is to read the law for yourself. go ahead and ask questions and allow the answers to guide your research
    Of course not... anyone who relies solely on someone else for legal advice is gonna get screwed eventually

I was just looking for some clarification on the law here.

and finally....welcome to PAFOA!!
    Thank you very, very much!

Next month, after I get paid, I do plan on actually joining the organization itself.

(Allegheny County)

So I've heard, though I've been open carrying in the city now for aobut a week, and CC'ing for 4 months now without any hassles, and one of the places I eat often usually has one or two COP Officers there on their 30's...

Of course not... anyone who relies solely on someone else for legal advice is gonna get screwed eventually

I was just looking for some clarification on the law here.

Thank you very, very much!

Next month, after I get paid, I do plan on actually joining the organization itself.
    Dude. You're IN!

(or is there something you guys are hiding from me? Where do I click to join "for real"?)

Welcome to the forum!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast