Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default How many(total) people carry in PA?

Im not asking if your or your buddy has one, i wanna know the number of licenses issued up untill this month. I am curious, i know its over 500,000 but I cant find an exact number. This is public domain is it not? If someone called PSP would they give out an answer? I think the stat i found was like 480,000 in 1996 or something...I want current info. Again just curious...anyone have the stat?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: How many(total) people carry in PA?

6.76% Pennsylvania
    Thats almost 7% of the people in the state who carry a gun.

non-verfied source
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Chester County)

According to the 2000 census there are approximately 12.2MM residents in PA. That equates to about 825,000 carry permits in PA. Let's go for a million.

(Beaver County)

When I went to the courthouse to turn in my application I was told the computers were down. So a few days later I went back, and inquired about my application. the girl there (very bitchy) said, "And you want to know what?" I said, "If my application has been approved yet or not. "She said, "You need to be more specific as to what you want." I said, "I dropped off my application, and they said the comptuers were down. That's all I know." She said, "Do you know how many applications come through here each day?' My response was, "Hopefully 1 for every citizen of Beaver County." I don't think she liked that response. haha

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    That's almost 7% of the people in the state who carry a gun.

non-verfied source
    Yea...but how many of those permit holders actually carry? For instance, my wife has a permit, but never carries. She got it to make it simpler when I need to go into a place where I can't carry. She can keep the gun in the car and be legal. I know other guys who have permits to make it easier to carry back and forth to the range. Mt guess...less then half of the permit holders carry on a regular basis.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by N3HCP View Post
    Yea...but how many of those permit holders actually carry? For instance, my wife has a permit, but never carries. She got it to make it simpler when I need to go into a place where I can't carry. She can keep the gun in the car and be legal. I know other guys who have permits to make it easier to carry back and forth to the range. Mt guess...less then half of the permit holders carry on a regular basis.
    Since getting my permit (approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago) I have carried every day. I can't imagine life without it.

(Lancaster County)

Question Re: How many(total) people carry in PA?

I was checking out the PA State police web site and saw this.....

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/v...p?A=4&Q=175927

2006 firearms reports by county, a pdf document there. It seems to indicate a total of 102,473 LTCF holders in all counties for 2006. I don't know if that's the correct state wide total but seems far less than 7% of the population.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by T Durdin View Post
    I was checking out the PA State police web site and saw this.....

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/v...p?A=4&Q=175927

2006 firearms reports by county, a pdf document there. It seems to indicate a total of 102,473 LTCF holders in all counties for 2006. I don't know if that's the correct state wide total but seems far less than 7% of the population.
    That number you got there is waaaaaaay off. in 1996 or 98 it was around 450,000 I saw...so that number you have is way off im not sure where you got that...please post if you still have it I think we are about 850,000 about if not pretty close, guys I think we are the leading state to tell you the truth...im not sure if that is a good or bad thing lol.

(Lancaster County)

That's off of the Pa State Police web-site. check the link

It's from a report posted on their site. firearms reports by county for 2006

It doesn't do a good job of defining what the report is saying..... It's hard to say if they're stating those are new LTCF's or existing ones?

I'd sure like it to be 850,000 or more. That would tell the branches of gov where we stand, give them an idea of what we believe in, what freedoms not to tread on.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Indiana County)

LTCFs are good for five (5) years. The PSP 2006 report only shows how many were issued for 2006. In order to get a total count of LTCFs, you need to add up the 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003 & 2002 PSP reports. Add these up, divide by the total state population, and you'll come up with roughly 7%. Unfortunately, the census figures don't show how many adults there are in the state (an adult is age 21 or over). That would make for a more accurate ratio.

Don't know why the PSP doesn't list the total number of valid LTCFs on their report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast