Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Firearm cases...

ok, so i was taking my AR out to the truck the other day and it looked like time stopped when the neighbors were looking at me.

i then decided it is WAY PAST time for me to get a case... or three.

pistols are easy as they go in the holsters, then into the range bag.

long guns are not to easy to stuff into my range bag.

my question is simple... do i get 10 of the same case, knowing that they wont fit the EXACT NEEDS (but will work) for a COUPLE of my long guns?

the reason for this is VERY simple. storage. if all the cases stack the same and are the same size they will be much easier to store. a longer case for the upcoming rem 700 would be far too long for the 10/22 and not as organizable for the AR-15. in the end, not really a big deal... OR IS IT?!?!?!?!

in all honesty, this is the reason i have not bought any cases. i would like to keep uniformity and easy of storage. but i also want ot be practical. the 10/22 does not need a tactical backpack style case... yet...
    This Space For Rent

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Firearm cases...

Come back and ask again after all of your socks are ironed and folded......

I thikn everyone should have a nice metal hard case with a lock for travel. I also have a couple smaller plastic cases for ease of use and they fit better in the trunks of cars and behind seats of trucks. Finally, I use the dedicated soft cases for AR15's just because they hold magazines and ammo so easily.

You didn't pick all your guns for the same thing.....why cases?

Lycanmessysockdrawerthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Come back and ask again after all of your socks are ironed and folded......
    funny thing is... im only OCD about a FEW things... lol

i guess you are right in that aspect. man, now i am going to have to take EACH long gun to the shop and find JUST the right case for it... this is gonna take some time... lol
    This Space For Rent

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    How many long guns do you typical take to the range?
    There are dual gun cases option, but when they are filled with hardware they get heavy real fast.

If I was starting from none and want to get to some cases, several choices are available to you.

You can get a couple of the cheap plastic cases, pick up some soft gun cases and even a really cheap simple sock cases or drop some serious money on metal or high end rifle cases. Any thing with a protruding handle like a AR-15 or over size scope need higher than normal cases.

MEASURE how long and high you guns are. Let the size of what is available in your price range help make the decision or better yet trace them on cardboard take them to store to see what fits in what before you buy. If you want cases to do multiple duties this is a best option.

I buy cases on the value of what is contained in them, a bolt action rifle with a expensive over sized scope usually gets a dedicated hard case. A out of the shot gun gets a simple soft case or even a really cheap sock case.

If you put a small gun in a hard case, it typically won't move around, but it doesn't work that way in soft cases, Soft cases you need to have one close to actual size or use clothing or rags to stuff around it to prevent movement.

Case come in all different sizes just like the guns you own.

You really should do the tracing of your firearms using the cardboard cut out method. Much easier then returning them, also lets you see what cases will fill the needs of more than one dedicated firearm use.
    i dont like purchasing something more than once, so going cheap wont happen.

i would prefer hard cases for all firearms. yes, it takes up more space this way, but they are protected better. inexpensive is good, cheap is not in this case... pun intended... lol

i am going to get a couple of the same inexpensive hard plastic cases for the 10/22 and the 500, but the rem 700 and the AR's will get higher end "tactical" cases. i will post up pictures once i get to the store and pick them up...
    This Space For Rent

(Montgomery County)

I'm a fan of SKB cases, they a bit on the pricey side, but they seem to be good quality cases.

I have the ATA Single Carbine case for each of my AR's. They are a bit cramped if you have an optic installed, but overall I'm happy with them.

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/produ...leshotgun.html

Proud member of:

those are some nice cases!

hmm... maybe i need to call some friends and see what they can do for me... lol
    This Space For Rent

(Allegheny County)

i just use cheap (edit...i should say inexpensive) plastic ("doskosport") cases i picked up at the local sportsmen's warehouse (i'm sure other hunting/camping kinda stores have them).

they only cost $10 each, but they work just fine. i use 'em to transport my ARs. i just throw em in the back of my pickup and the case protects them just fine. they stack well for storage. (i keep mine stacked on top of my safe.)

i'm pretty sure you could fit a remington 700 with a scope in there. (they are actually quite a bit longer than necessary for one AR, but it's nice to be able to put other stuff...like an extra upper or a handgun...in there with it.)

i find them to be a great value.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; April 28th, 2008 at 10:55 PM.