Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Calico m-100s break down

Hey,
    So I'm trying to take my m-100s apart to do a thorough cleaning. I have the front sights off but I cant get the fore grip off. Does anyone have this rifle?

Default Re: Calico m-100s break down

Sold mine years ago, but as I recall, the front site was integral with the flashhider, and was retained by set screws. Although the set screws might have been on that Jager .22 M-16 replica that I also sold off.
    The one-piece handguard was retained by the front sight; I'm sort of recalling that the whole barrel assembly comes off pretty easily, some sort of ring on the receiver?
    The one piece of advice that I have is regarding the magazines: They all go bad at the first inch of the helical flutes, because they are plastic and that area takes all of the pressure as you cram 100 rounds into the mag, rotating the mag internal cylinder as you do so. When you load the mag, shake the bullets down often, minimize the pressure needed to insert each round. Buy spare internal fluted tubes from Calico, too, because they will go bad and that's the heart of the mag.
    I Dremeled out the trigger guard on mine so that I could use a BMF Activator, that Gatling crank, but the gun never fired reliably enough for it to be fun. Had the same issue with the .22 kit for my M-11/9 SMG, it just was too much effort to get it to work.

Check out this link:
    http://www.notpurfect.com/calico/22lr.html
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; June 13th, 2008 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added cool link

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for the response. I know of the ring that you're talking about. Unfortunately my calico doesn't have that. Here is a picture:

I assume the grip just comes off. This has proven difficult. Any tips?

(Susquehanna County)

I've oiled the hell out of this thing and I still cant get it off. I almost want to cut it off and just order a new stock >:C
    Any ideas as to how to get this off?

I'd get an exploded parts diagram, see what hardware is holding it on. I think the wood foregrip is interchangeable with the black plastic one, and I think they only made one type of barrel, so there has to be a barrel retaining nut inside the wood. The foregrip should slide off of the muzzle after you remove the entire front sight/flash hider unit.

(Susquehanna County)

I agree. I've looked it over pretty well and I dont see anything that could be holding it on aside from something within the grip. I'm thinking maybe the wood expanded over the barrel or something. Not sure.

(Susquehanna County)

I finally got this broken down and cleaned. It was a major PITA. I don't think it was disassembled in its lifetime so the fore grip was stuck on really tight. Lots of penetrating oil, elbow grease and three days of work got the grip off. Once I clean it again (next summer) it should be easier.

Thanks for all of the help with this. It looks brand new