Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Question Gun store vs gun show?

I'm in the market for a handgun. I've never been to a gun show. How do their prices compare to those of a gun shop (like Gander or Cabella)? Are the shows more for collectors?

Also, where might I get a good price on selling a gun? I have an old LC Smith side-by-side shotgun I'd like to sell (gun show?).

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Gun store vs gun show?

Gander and Cabela prices for guns are excessive to begin with. You are likely to beat either big box store at a mom & pop or at a gun show.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

The good thing about shows is the variety. Since you have so many dealers in one place you are more likely to find what you're looking for and will be able to compare prices. I think you would definitely find better pricing at a show.

(Bucks County)

out of ten years of checking out gunshows it's been my experience that gunshow guns are way over priced. on occasion you can find OK deals but you'll be much better off finding a good gunshop and giving them your business. gunshows are great for checking out a lot of different types of firearms under one roof, comparing prices and getting an idea of what's on the market. also checkout sites like gunsamerica, gunbroker and auctionarms to see what particular guns are being sold for.

(Centre County)

You MAY find a good price at a gun show on some things, it depends on what you are looking for. The big box stores prices may be competitive and may not be. Going to your local gun store to see what they can do for you can reap benefits over time. You deal with them enough they may be able to turn you on to some good deals and typically it's a relaxed atmosphere where you can learn a lot from the regulars that hang out there.

As for selling the shotgun, you can go to Gunbroker or Guns America to get an idea what they are selling for on the open market. You will never get what it is worth at a gun show (unless you sell it to a private party) or a gun dealer, remember, they are in the business to make money so they will never give you retail price (maybe not even wholesale price).

Once you determine a price that you will be happy with, you can advertise it here, on GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc. The nice thing about being here in PA is that you can sell a long arm to anyone of legal age (who is not prohibited from owning) in a face to face transaction with no paperwork required.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northumberland County)

For buying on the cheap---small gun shops. For selling-----private sale. For variety----major shops like Cabela's and gun shows. Typically, you get the best buying prices (at least in my experience) and almost always the best service from small, local shops. If you're looking to get a lot for your gun, sell it privately and cut out the middleman. If you just want to look around and see what's available, check out a show or Cabela's. That said, good deals can be had at shows and major shops, but it's hit or miss. For instance, my pop just bought a Ruger MKII at a show for $250 w/taxes and fees, when the lowest price locally was around $300, but I attribute that to luck and good timing more than anything.

(Berks County)

Just about every small shop owner I know also does gunshows.

That being said, I have purchased almost all my guns at gunshows.

Here is what you have to do, know what the going prices of what you are looking to buy. Make the dealer an offer.....all he will do is say "No"....then you move on.

At bigger shows, I usually carry a small notepad and take notes, I go around the entire show floor once, then hit the tables again for what I want to purchase.

I have NEVER paid the sticker price on a gun at a show.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Adams County)

where ever you are ask how much they charge for the instsnt check if it more then the state charges i think it is still $5 don't pay any more i have had some at shows try to hit me for $20.

another place to sell the shotgun is a auction house.

(Lackawanna County)

Thumbs up Re: Gun store vs gun show?

Thanks for all the good input everyone.