Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: right or wrong?

(Blair County)

Question right or wrong?

Looked at an apartment in the State College area the other day. When asked if I could keep firearms in the apartment, the lady said, NO, NO firearms are allowed, so right away, that one is out of the question. I started to do some thinking on this, is this legal or not? I understand that it is on private property, but, how can they tell people that if you want to live there, you have to give up your right to protect yourself?(That's how I took it when I was told that I could not have firearms in the apartment) Maybe I am just looking at this the wrong way, but that is how I feel.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: right or wrong?

A) you shouldn't have said anything

B) if it's not in the renters agreement, your landlord can't do anything.

(Jefferson County)

Apparently that person isn't worth donating a monthly payment to.

Find another place, one where the owners are either pro-gun or just dont care.

And never ever ask that. Make your decision while reading the copy of the agreement. If it's not in the agreement, then you're good to go. If you mention it prior to having the agreement to read - they may add it.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 16th, 2007 at 02:57 AM.

(Blair County)

It is in the agreement, after I asked about it. I will take the advice and not ask about it again, just ask to see the agreement first, and then go from there. They aren't going to get one red cent from me. Nice apartment, but will not be living somewhere that I can not keep my guns with me.

(Berks County)

One thing that always burns my ass is that attitude

We are legal firearms owners, which means we are law abiding, and have passed background checks, every time we buy a firearm, can the manager say the same?
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Philadelphia County)

I understand that it is on private property, but, how can they tell people that if you want to live there, you have to give up your right to protect yourself?
    Property rights always should preempt any other right. You always have the liberty to go somewhere else.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lebanon County)

When I was renting it never crossed my mind to ask about guns. They're mine, I moved and my stuff moved with me. I never asked about furniture, kitchen utensils, fishing equipment, tools, ..........It just never occured to me to ask.

(York County)

Always read that renter's agreement or lease. In fact, there should be places you're required to initial.
    If you do keep firearms in your apartment, just be aware that the maintenance staff can enter. They're supposed to give you notice, but don't depend on that all the time.
    If you have firearms and the lease prohibits them, you've broken your lease and can be evicted.

(Indiana County)

Article 1, Section 10 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution states that the right to keep and bear arms may not be questioned. That being said, perhaps the clause in the contract prohibiting firearms would be an unconscionable clause contrary to public policy and would be null and void. When you rent an apartment, it becomes your apartment, no longer the landlord's. You may be required to maintain the premises according to the landlord's desires, but who you have visit you, how you live within the apartment, etc. is not the landlord's concern, providing such activity does not negatively impact on the other tenants or violate any existing laws.

(Beaver County)

yeah, I would have never thought to ask, like would you also ask them if you can keep your pants on the floor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast