Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended software

I have used some basic photo editing software in the past, but never Photoshop-type programs.

I have a chance to get Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended for about $200 thru a university license.

Is this overkill for a relative beginner in "Photoshopping" or will it let me do simple things and then let me progress to the more complicated stuff?

And is the price too good to pass up for this?

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended software

If you're just doing things like cropping, editing, etc get GIMP for free.
    http://www.gimp.org/

At least try it to see if it fits the bill for what you need. I use it and love it. Also, know that I suck at Photoshop and knew nothing before I started using GIMP. I was up and using it in minutes.

Default Re: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended software

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I have used some basic photo editing software in the past, but never Photoshop-type programs.

I have a chance to get Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended for about $200 thru a university license.

Is this overkill for a relative beginner in "Photoshopping" or will it let me do simple things and then let me progress to the more complicated stuff?

And is the price too good to pass up for this?

Thanks.
    Actually I was under the impression PS was only $99 for college students, they must have changed their pricing big time.

I have been using PS since version 4 and it is probably one of the most important tools in my 'arsenal' but it also takes time, studying and a lot of practice to master (if in fact you ever really master it).

I also taught intro PS at Chubb for several years. At first many of these adult students said "what do I need this for, I have Paint Shop Pro". By the end of the term they we all saying "Screw Paint Shop Pro"

Now as far as what version? Well hell I'm still using 7 (pre CS). I tired CS a couple of times and the thing was so damn bloated it damn near killed my machine. CS has some cool advanced tools but they are things I can live without in my day to day work.

All in all, it's up to you and whether you are able to both pay the $200 AND be willing to spend the time to learn it. There are some great books out there on PS and a ton of tutorial sites but this program is not something you are going to master overnight.