Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Opinions needed please!!

Hi everyone, ive been thinking about buying a pistol for quite sometime, and have been doing research on just about every make and model that i could think of (glocks, xd, taurus, sig). I do have limited experience with rifles, but i want to start pistol shooting mainly for target/protection, although im not too worried about the protection aspect of it right now. well anyway ive always wanted a 1911, and yes i realize its a .45. now i was looking at the springfield mil spec and i was wondering if it would be a horrible purchase for my first handgun, and also what is the average price for one in berks/montgomery/cherster area if anyone happened to know. i plan on going to some shops during my holiday break and trying to find out for myself, but i just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks!

Default Re: Opinions needed please!!

There is not a damn thing wrong with a Mil Spec 1911, that was my first 45. I"ve upgraded some but a wonderful sidearm nonetheless.

Price- new or used? New, I would gestimate no more than 600, used 450 to 500 but I truly haven't followed the gun market in some time. heck, look here on the board under the classified adds, you might find a deal for a mil spec 1911.

Have fun with your first pistol. Don't forget basic safety instruction and then some real training.

PS. Self defense-best if one uses a long gun...a handgun only allows you to fight to get to a long gun!!!

Nothing wrong with a springfield. Don't be too worried if you have some failures to feed or eject right off the bat with a new gun. I have a loaded springfield and it was super tight. The first couple hundred rds I would have a failure every once in a while, then I realized 1911's are all metal and need the slide rails oiled. Now I've gone about 1k rds without any problems even reloads. To give you an idea I bought my loaded in Mongomery county and paid $760 out the door.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Monroe County)

The SA I have now is a PX9109LP. They go for about 750 and mine has run flawless right out of the box. Not even one burp.

You can research pistols till your eyes bleed but the only true way to tell is hold them, shoot them, fondle them and then see what it feels like to carry that model.

(Allegheny County)

I own two Colt 1911s but no Springfields. However, you can not read the 1911 forums without figuring out that the SA line of 1911s have a very nice reputation. As has been mentioned, shooting one first is a good thing. I believe that, first and foremost, a pistol should fit your hand like a glove and it should feel like an extension of your hand. Only two pistols do that for me and that is the Sig P226 (and P220) and the 1911.

Don't be afraid to look for one that is gently used!

(Westmoreland County)

If you have the money; I'd suggest a step or two above the mil. sp. If you are just getting into pistols I'd also suggest adjustable sights. Springfield has 1911 models in 9mm if you are unsure about the .45. There's a model a step below the Springfield Loaded 1911. I can't think of the name. I wouldn't mind adding to my collection just don't have money available at this time and don't really need another gun. But! For the price you can't go wrong with a Springfield, whatever model you decide.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

(Centre County)

As a starter .45 ACP. don't discount the Rock Island Armory, I've found them to be a good solid gun for not a lot of money. The base model (the cheapest) is basically a mil spec gun (military sights, plain jane everything), but a good starter. Next in line is their tactical model, better sights, beavertail grip safety, etc. and only about $50-$75 or so more.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    If you have the money; I'd suggest a step or two above the mil. sp. If you are just getting into pistols I'd also suggest adjustable sights.
    That PX9109LP is a loaded mil-spec wi/ all the loaded features including night sights although it`s not SS it`s parkerized and priced right.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/43756

http://sgcusa.com/product_info.php?c...oducts_id=1514

(Berks County)

Thanks everyone!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    As a starter .45 ACP. don't discount the Rock Island Armory, I've found them to be a good solid gun for not a lot of money. The base model (the cheapest) is basically a mil spec gun (military sights, plain jane everything), but a good starter. Next in line is their tactical model, better sights, beavertail grip safety, etc. and only about $50-$75 or so more.
    If Rock Island ends up being your choice - you can pick one up new on gunbroker.com for $ 399 - can't beat that with a stick ! Taurus seems to have decent 1911's for $499-$599. Check them all out, and enjoy when you get your first one. If you're like me, your first time cleaning it will be a real experience - far different from any other gun to clean - read up first, even if you normally don't go for directions - lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast