Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default PA LTCF issued to Maryland resident

I am a Maryland resident but do all my shooting in PA. For a number of reasons, including my desire to exercise my Second Amendment rights, I applied for and received a PA license to carry firearms. This issuing authority was the Sheriff of Franklin County. The problem is that I do NOT have a Maryland license to carry. From reading the PA statute, it appears that it is a requirement to have a license from one's own state of residence (in my case Maryland) to quality for a PA license to carry.

Did the Sheriff issue in error since I do not have a MD license? If so, should I contact the Franklin County Sheriff and ask what to do?

Or am I making an issue that should not be raised?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PA LTCF issued to Maryland resident

Legally, you were required to have a MD license.. but personally, I'd keep my mouth shut. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

STFU. You lucky bastard.

(Tioga County)

The Sheriff issued it. It's valid. Keep you big mouth shut and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
    I am a Maryland resident but do all my shooting in PA. For a number of reasons, including my desire to exercise my Second Amendment rights, I applied for and received a PA license to carry firearms. This issuing authority was the Sheriff of Franklin County. The problem is that I do NOT have a Maryland license to carry. From reading the PA statute, it appears that it is a requirement to have a license from one's own state of residence (in my case Maryland) to quality for a PA license to carry.

Did the Sheriff issue in error since I do not have a MD license? If so, should I contact the Franklin County Sheriff and ask what to do?

sssshhhhh, keep it... but im sure someone will chime in and tell you how your breaking the law and you should send it back, ect, ect....

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Legally, you were required to have a MD license.. but personally, I'd keep my mouth shut. lol
    I would say nothing and go about my biusness. Have fun and enjoy it.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post

Just enjoy being treated like an adult in/by a free state.

(Indiana County)

Just out of curiosity, what address did you put down on the application?

(Tioga County)

As long as you filled out the application truthfully the problem is the sheriff's not yours. You can't get in any trouble. I feel certain the Sheriff in the worst case might be embarrassed.

All,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Here is how it went down. I went to the Franklin County Sheriff's office in Chambersburg in January and asked point blank: "I am a Maryland resident. Can I apply for a Pennsylvania LTCF?" The person at the desk said, "I don't know." Then he turned around and asked in the office, "Hey, does anybody know if this man who is a Maryland resident can get a firearms license?" The answer was a rousing "Yes!" from whoever was in charge (I didn't get the name).

They also asked if I had a license from Maryland and I said that it takes a act of Congress to get a license in the Free State, so the answer was "No, I don't." "OK," they said. So, I filled out the application, using all truthful answers and using my current Maryland address and paid my five bucks. Now, understand that I didn't know about the legal requirement for a non-PA resident to have a license in his home state. That was something I learned this morning from this website.

A few days later, I got a call in my office (funny, I was in a meeting at the time with a bunch of flaming liberals) from the sheriff's office. He asked "You are a Maryland resident--why do you want a PA firearms license?" I replied, "Just on general principles. I live in what is known as the Communist State of Maryland and I can't get one for any reason, although I work in security. I believe the Second Amendment affords me the right to keep and bear arms. That's all" He replied, "Great answer, you are approved. I just wanted to talk to you and see if you are a turd. " I asked whether he would arbitrarily deny me a license if he didn't like my answer and he said "Yes." But, he said, he is an avid supporter of the Second Amendment so I am definitely approved. "Great," I replied.

So, I went back that Friday, completed the paperwork, paid the balance due, and walked out with my license. Now, what is bothering me is whether I am in violation of PA law. I do not want to get into trouble and possibly have this matter bite me later, like fraud or other.

So, any further ideas? Should I bring it up to the sheriff or not? I was completely above board at every step in the process. That's why I was stunned to read about the home-state license requirement on this website.

Heavy D in need of guidance.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast