Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default The devastating effect of lifting the 1986 ban.

I would think if the 1986 ban on automatic weapons was lifted, it would wreak havoc in untold ways througout the gun community.

First, any class 3 dealer would find their inventories worth pennies on the dollar overnight. An M-16 selling for $14,500 the day before the ban ends would sell for about $900 the day after.

Also, since no one would buy semi auto weapons anymore, this would make the value of those weapons plummet also.

No one would be able to sell their semi autos privately for any real money either.

Any thoughts? I mean, it'd be great for consumers, but its ripple effect would be prety widespread in ways people may not think about.

But yes, I'd like to see it lifted.

(Venango County)

Default Re: The devastating effect of lifting the 1986 ban.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
    I would think if the 1986 ban on automatic weapons was lifted, it would wreak havoc in untold ways througout the gun community.

First, any class 3 dealer would find their inventories worth pennies on the dollar overnight. An M-16 selling for $14,500 the day before the ban ends would sell for about $900 the day after.

Also, since no one would buy semi auto weapons anymore, this would make the value of those weapons plummet also.

No one would be able to sell their semi autos privately for any real money either.

Any thoughts? I mean, it'd be great for consumers, but its ripple effect would be prety widespread in ways people may not think about.

Hmmm.....never really thought about an Economic effect, but I don;t know if the price would drop THAT quick

Just think of how many of us would go BUY m16's and AMMO, I think it would turn it around pretty quickly.....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Luzerne County)

You can bet your petootie that states would outlaw it. (NY,CA, NJ, IL, etc).
    Semi's would still be worth $$ to them...

Can't say for sure, but I can tell you how things were when transferable MGs were plentiful and everywhere. M60s were in the $2k-$3k range, M16s were a little cheaper than AR-15s. This might have been from being turned off by the paperwork and not seeing the merit in paying another $200 for one more selector setting. I know I questioned my sanity when I initially ordered my M-16. It was $430-ish when ARs were a tad over $600 from Colt, and I already had a 1979-80 era SP-1.

M11/9s were less than the tax stamp, they had brisk sales as entry-level MGs. Sten magazine conversions were a popular mod on M11s, too.

Newly-made M-16s could drop down to about 4/5 of AR-15 prices, but some guns out of production would remain high, particularly W.W.II guns (BARs, MG-34s & 42s, MP-44, etc). Transferrable AKs were never cheap.

I bought a 1984 Colt HBAR semi-auto about 10 years ago for $1k. I was expecting it's value to drop in 2004, but from what I can tell, it didn't.

So, repealing the '86 ban would certainly affect new MG prices, but the older MGs might have a little staying power. I would expect pre-'86 ban 16s to drop somewhat from 13k-15k, though.

As PA Patriot pointed out, state laws may make this a moot point in some cases. Fortunately, Pennsylvania isn't one of them, yet.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

All I know is that if they lift the ban I'm going to go into debt very quickly to buy both a full-auto, short barrel FN-P90 and a Glock 18...

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post

Doubtful.

Wile there are a bunch of people that think they would buy F/A (most would actually not) they would soon find out that
    1. Ammo is $$$$$ esp at 600-2000/rpm
    2. Most places dont allow F/A
    3. It's still requires all the normal NFA transfer "stuff" cleo signature or trust/corp creation, atf approval and a $200 stamp for each item.....

The S/A market would be the same. The price of the S/A would stay the same. people would buy just as many S/A's as before. People would just form1 them if that wanted F/A and convert what they allready had just like most SBR's are done currently.

Now remember here was a viable s/a market before 86. Not everyone wants a MG.

The only people who would loose (in the short term) are c3 dealers. The dealers will (eventually) make it back w/ the increase in transfers. They will likely increase the transfer fee as well..

The people that will actually loose are the speculators that bought to sell high later, and I hope they loose it all.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Philadelphia County)

I would happily accept my RR M16 being devalued if it meant I could buy more new toys.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Poultney, VT(school) Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtdew View Post
    Doubtful.

Wile there are a bunch of people that think they would buy F/A (most would actually not) they would soon find out that
    1. Ammo is $$$$$ esp at 600-2000/rpm
    2. Most places dont allow F/A
    3. It's still requires all the normal NFA transfer "stuff" cleo signature or trust/corp creation, atf approval and a $200 stamp for each item.....

The S/A market would be the same. The price of the S/A would stay the same. people would buy just as many S/A's as before. People would just form1 them if that wanted F/A and convert what they allready had just like most SBR's are done currently.

Now remember here was a viable s/a market before 86. Not everyone wants a MG.

The only people who would loose (in the short term) are c3 dealers. The dealers will (eventually) make it back w/ the increase in transfers. They will likely increase the transfer fee as well..

The people that will actually loose are the speculators that bought to sell high later, and I hope they loose it all.
    me too!

jkhlkljhkljh

(Franklin County)

Oh man, that would be great. I'd love to get myself an MP5. The last inquires I made with a number of Class III dealers had them priced at $20,000 and up. At those prices I'd have to sell one of my kidneys to afford one.

Hmmmm...

Anyone need a kidney?

(Centre County)

Hummmmm only negative I could think of this is that price of ammo would go through the roof.

Its gonna go like this...

Me - "Hey I need .223...."
    Store - "Sure how many box you need?"
    Me - "hummm how many you got?"
    Store - "not much. Since the Automatic weapon ban got lifted, we can't stock enough .223, .308, 9mm, 45acp, .30-06. People buys them by the shelf load."
    Me - "okay I'll take what you got"
    Store - "that'll be 4 boxes. they are $55 each"
    Me - "!@#@#!@ What do you mean $55 each? how many are in the box?"
    Store - "20rds"
    Me - "WTF?!"
    Store - "Its called supply and demand sir... We are still sending most ammo to Iraq. Now people are getting ammo by the ton. Noone can keep up with the demand"
    Last edited by Mity2; December 20th, 2007 at 01:09 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere