Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ruger American rifle and Savage Axis?

How are they? I was looking at them the other day and for around $400 they didn't look like bad guns. I haven't read anything bad about Ruger Americans. The Savage Axis fit me better though. I want a deer rifle in 7mm08. I am also kind of poor.
    Last edited by 4thdimension; August 18th, 2016 at 01:32 AM.

Default Re: Ruger American rifle and Savage Axis?

The American is a better over all rifle between the adjustable trigger and the CHF barrel.

I have an American Predator in .308 and it's a nail driver.

(Fayette County)

I have a Axis in 270 and it is a tack driver also. So what ever you like. They are both great rifles.

I really wished people would stop making comments that are incorrect. Especially, how the person will always recommend the rifle that they own and dismiss the other product.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The American is a better over all rifle between the adjustable trigger and the CHF barrel.

OP, here's how I'd look at the Ruger vs Savage Axis. If you don't plan on making any changes to the rifle, either rifle will fit your needs in a budget hunting rifle. If you think you might upgrade the rifle, I'd say Savage is what you seek. You can do much more with the Savage lineup than any other firearm as you can upgrade any of the Savage rifles...IE model 10/110/Edge(older version of the Axis)/Stevens 200.

When I bought my Axis, there were no aftermarket stocks available, so I had to modify the factory Axis stock. I spent a lot of hours reinforcing the forearm with steel rods. I also cut the rear of the stock to give me a shorter LOP and I filled it with "great stuff" foam insulation to add some weight to the stock.

If you want a nicer trigger, you can buy the Axis II which comes with the accutrigger. If you get the original Axis, you can replace the trigger spring with a spring from a pen and it reduces the trigger pull dramatically. You can also buy aftermarket triggers for the Axis.

I've seem to very inexpensive Axis lately...I want to say $225 after rebate from Savage.

IMO, the best part about going with a Savage is that you can DIY and learn a skill and upgrade your rifle as funds allow.

(Monroe County)

Both are solid guns in that price range. I have two Americans, one Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, and one standard in .243. Both are incredibly accurate, especially given the price point they sell at. I bought the Predator over other rifles in 6.5 because it was the only one I could find at the time that was factory threaded, but considering it is shooting .75 moa, I don't think I could improve on it much even if I spent twice the amount I did. That said, I own several Savages as well, and they are all great shooters as well. You mention that the Savage fits you best, so in that case I would go with it. I don't think you would be disappointed either way, buy the one that feels best when you shoulder it and go hunting. My only other advice would be if you are looking at a 7mm-08 you might want to consider the 6.5 Creedmoor instead, it is a fantastic hunting round with little recoil, flat shooting, and with excellent penetration.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I really wished people would stop making comments that are incorrect. Especially, how the person will always recommend the rifle that they own and dismiss the other product.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

OP, here's how I'd look at the Ruger vs Savage Axis. If you don't plan on making any changes to the rifle, either rifle will fit your needs in a budget hunting rifle. If you think you might upgrade the rifle, I'd say Savage is what you seek. You can do much more with the Savage lineup than any other firearm as you can upgrade any of the Savage rifles...IE model 10/110/Edge(older version of the Axis)/Stevens 200.

When I bought my Axis, there were no aftermarket stocks available, so I had to modify the factory Axis stock. I spent a lot of hours reinforcing the forearm with steel rods. I also cut the rear of the stock to give me a shorter LOP and I filled it with "great stuff" foam insulation to add some weight to the stock.

If you want a nicer trigger, you can buy the Axis II which comes with the accutrigger. If you get the original Axis, you can replace the trigger spring with a spring from a pen and it reduces the trigger pull dramatically. You can also buy aftermarket triggers for the Axis.

I've seem to very inexpensive Axis lately...I want to say $225 after rebate from Savage.

IMO, the best part about going with a Savage is that you can DIY and learn a skill and upgrade your rifle as funds allow.
    Hypocrisy at its finest.

With that said, it is natural people are going to say the rifle they own is a better choice. Doing otherwise would be admitting to buying an inferior firearm...or at least one where you had a better option.

Being 100%% honest, I own a 30-06 Ruger American. I don't own an Axis. I like my American, but am not familiar with the Savage models. Therefore, I can't really give you a comparison.

After doing some research I think I'll go with the Ruger American. Axis are a little cheaper but I like the idea of an adjustable trigger. It seems like it would be a light handy rifle for the mountainous terrain in my area. I have my heart set on a 7mm08. I might settle for a 308. In my area there is not need for magnum or long action calibers.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I really wished people would stop making comments that are incorrect.
    You first. Wow yea what the fuck. Sure there might be a guy who might now like the other one now. But yea someone did get one of them and surprise they liked it. No I got the shitty gun that I'll need to spend hours of tweaking on the stock to spite myself so get this one.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

In my day people who were kinda poor didn't spend $400 (prob equivalent of $700 adjusted) on a hunting rifle.

I hunted with a surplus Mauser. The deer doesn't know what killed him.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    In my day people who were kinda poor didn't spend $400 (prob equivalent of $700 adjusted) on a hunting rifle.

I hunted with a surplus Mauser. The deer doesn't know what killed him.
    Very true on this. I've switched to an el-cheapo single shot Rossi in 308 for deer with a junk 4x scope. Light, no problem getting banged up & accurate to PA deer hunting ranges.

More on topic, I have a Ruger American Predator in 260 (aka 6.5-08). I imagine it to be the case with the AXIS as well, but the stock is junk. Like Aubie, I put hours into the damn thing with layers of fiberglass, glue fillers & weights etc, trying to get the flex out. I eventually gave up when MDT came out with a chassis system. The barrel, although thicker than the regular model, still heats up pretty quick with strings of shots. A few months back, I shot this rifle (with a 10x SWFA scope) out to 1,000 yards in Schuylkill county - so they can be very accurate. I can't imagine it's any more accurate than the Savage though. Go to a store & handle both. Whichever handles better for you is your gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast