Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default handgun vs shotgun advice

I've never owned a weapon but want something to protect my family. I don't have enough money to go all out and arm myself to the teeth, so would you suggest a handgun or a shotgun for such a scenario? I can really only do one or the other right now.

Default Re: handgun vs shotgun advice

Shotgun for home use is my vote..Huge huge believer in long guns!!!

Both have advantages and disadvantages. However, with my training and experience, I'll take the shotgun any day of the week.

CL

(Philadelphia County)

A lot of people will probably suggest a shot gun for several reasons which I will try to preemptively debunk:

Myth- They are easier to shoot than a hand gun
    Fact- Shotguns require training and practice in order to be accurate and useful just as much as handguns.

Myth- They are less likely to penetrate walls and hit unintended targets
    Fact- Shotguns and hand guns will both easily penetrate several layers of drywall and have similar penetration as proven by FBI ballistics tests

Myth- You don't need to aim a shotgun.
    Fact- See myth 1 above.

Personally, I would recommend a hand gun for several reasons. They are easier to maneuver with, the ammo is cheaper so you can practice more, there are more ranges where you can practice with them, they are easier to securely store, you can get a LTCF if you desire and take it with you when you leave the house.

Before you make a decision, I recommend you take a basic firearms safety course, possibly one where you could try both types of firearm out for yourself. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

Shotgun is the way to go they are are easier to learn to shoot. Pump shot gun is my choice. Mossberg 500 is a good one. There are a number of home defense shotguns out there I happen to have chosen Mossberg.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    A lot of people will probably suggest a shot gun for several reasons which I will try to preemptively debunk:

Fact- Shotguns require training and practice in order to be accurate and useful just as much as handguns.

Fact- Shotguns and hand guns will both easily penetrate several layers of drywall and have similar penetration as proven by FBI ballistics tests

Fact- See myth 1 above.

Personally, I would recommend a hand gun for several reasons. They are easier to maneuver with, the ammo is cheaper so you can practice more, there are more ranges where you can practice with them, they are easier to securely store, you can get a LTCF if you desire and take it with you when you leave the house.

Before you make a decision, I recommend you take a basic firearms safety course, possibly one where you could try both types of firearm out for yourself. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility.
    Very good advice overall!!!

(Allegheny County)

for home defense, i would recommend almost any long gun over almost any handgun.

long guns stop people. handguns piss them off.

that's going a bit far, but long guns do do much more damage than handguns and someone who is shot with a long gun is much more likely to be physically forced to stop than someone who is shot with a handgun.

you do need to load the shotgun with ammo that is appropriate for self-defense though (which means slugs or heavy buckshot...leave the bird shot for the birds).

and you do have to know how to use it properly. (long guns are easier to learn to shoot accurately than handguns, though.)

to paraphrase col. cooper..."just having a gun and thinking you are armed is like buying a piano and thinking you are a musician."
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

Take a safety class and buy a pardner pump protector.

The safety class is so you don't accidentally kill yourself or your family.
    Great job!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post

Fact- See myth 1 above.

You forgot the old: All you need do is rack it and the bad guy will run away.

I say get one of each. As others have said they both have their own merits and uses.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all the quick advice, I think I will start with a Basic Firearms course. I most definitely want to be educated myself before I jump into either. Does anyone have any links or recommendations in Montgomery county where I could get that sort of training?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post

I say get one of each. As others have said they both have their own merits and uses.
    He can't get one of each.
    Great job!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast