Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Illegal Immigrant wins Toys R Us $25,000 prize

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/06/fir....ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- After coming under fire for denying a Chinese-American infant a $25,000 prize in a New Year's baby contest because her mother was not a legal U.S. resident, the Toys "R" Us company said that it had reversed its decision.

The company said Saturday evening it would award each of the three babies in the grand prize pool of the "First Baby of the Year Sweepstakes" a $25,000 savings bond. Toys "R" Us is the parent company of Babies "R" Us, which sponsored the contest.

Toys "R" Us, which opened its first mainland China store less than a month ago, changed its mind after Chinese-American advocates protested and the story was reported in ethnic newspapers and The New York Times among other outlets.

"We love all babies," the company said in a written statement Saturday. "Our sweepstakes was intended to welcome the first baby of 2007 and prepare for its future. We deeply regret that this sweepstakes became a point of controversy."

The prize was originally supposed to go to Yuki Lin, who was born at the stroke of midnight at New York Downtown Hospital, according to hospital officials.

She won a random drawing with two other babies for the $25,000 savings bond, said Toys "R" Us spokeswoman Kathleen Waugh. The Wayne, New Jersey, company had said it would go to the first American baby born in 2007.

Yuki was born an American citizen. But the company disqualified her because "the sweepstakes administrator was informed that the mother of the baby born at New York Downtown Hospital was not a legal resident of the United States," Waugh said.

Although promotional materials called for "all expectant New Year's mothers" to apply, Waugh said eligibility rules required babies' mothers to be legal residents. Many sweepstakes have such requirements, Waugh said.

Attempts to reach Yuki's parents, Yan Zhu Liu and Han Lin, 22, were unsuccessful Saturday. Their immigration status was not clear.

The original prize was instead awarded to runner-up Jayden Swain, born 19 seconds after midnight at Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville, Georgia. The third baby in the running was born in Bay Shore, New York, to a couple from El Salvador.

Chinese-American advocates had complained that the toy company's decision smacked of second-class citizenship. They said the prize was supposed to be for the child, not the mother.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Illegal Immigrant wins Toys R Us $25,000 prize

They should just throw that sub-human, second class scum into the hell hole from where it came from....

wait a minute...

thats an American baby!!!

I find it disgusting that they would disqualify an american baby because her parents are illegal.

I thought we were all "covered" because of our unalienable rights that our creator gave to us.. and not because we are born inside, or outside some imaginary lines drawn up by men...

Whats done is done, I think the second baby should keep the prize, but shame on Toy's R Us. I hope they go bankrupt not a moment too soon.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    They should just throw that sub-human, second class scum into the hell hole from where it came from....

wait a minute...

thats an American baby!!!

I find it disgusting that they would disqualify an american baby because her parents are illegal.

I thought we were all "covered" because of our unalienable rights that our creator gave to us.. and not because we are born inside, or outside some imaginary lines drawn up by men...

Whats done is done, I think the second baby should keep the prize, but shame on Toy's R Us. I hope they go bankrupt not a moment too soon.
    Should INS prosecute and deport the mother now that they know her status is that of an illegal immigrant?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Should INS prosecute and deport the mother now that they know her status is that of an illegal immigrant?

I would have to say "Yes". They would just be doing their duty.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01;21854

I thought we were all "covered" because of our [U
    unalienable rights that our creator gave to us[/U].. and not because we are born inside, or outside some imaginary lines drawn up by men...
    What if someone doesnt believe in a God, or "Creator"? =
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    What if someone doesnt believe in a God, or "Creator"? =
    Drakin
    This is beyond a God or Creator. The constitution nor the bill of rights actually give you any rights. You are born with them. Those documents just outline them.

I dont care if you pray to Jesus, Buddah, Allah or the Spaghetti Monster. These are Human rights.
    Last edited by LorDiego01; January 9th, 2007 at 01:47 AM.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    In a perfect world, she would be investigated, and if found that she's a decent person, she would be granted the priviledge of citizenship inmediatly. And if she were found to not be a decent person, then her butt should be on the next ship outta the country.

I have found that the War on Illegal Imnigration, is very similar to the War on Drugs. Both are put on a silver platter for the criminal underground to profit off from, therefore, justifiying a need for a solution provided by the government/LEO/Military. They both grab good, "decent" people, and group them up with the true scum of society by a set of "one-size fits all laws".

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    I would have to say "Yes". They would just be doing their duty.
    GunRunner... I dont want to put words into your mouth, but it was found, and is widely accepted, that "following orders" is NOT a valid excuse for behavior that harms people.

They found this out on the Nuremberg Trials. And many hung for it.

Wrong is wrong. I doubt that you, nor "they" can say with a clear consience that the best thing for this baby girl would be to deport her mother.
    ==============
    ~Samuel Adams

~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Their immigration status was not clear.
    I'm wondering if the phrase "not a legal resident" has been mistakenly used where the phrase "not a US citizen" would have better suited. Dunno.
    Last edited by Arcana71; November 20th, 2008 at 02:54 AM.

(Erie County)

This lady should be deported!!!!!!!!!!!!! She won't be though, because China does not permit the return of its citizens that have fled to the U.S.

Even though this woman won $25,000; I'm sure the tax payers of NYC paid for this birth via their Medicare system. They showed gov't Arnold Schwa..... out in California talking about a mandatory healthcare he wants people to buy. Why do I mention this, the birth of illegal immigrants last year just in CA cost the state Medicare system $400 million.

I would be willing to bet money that in the "terms and coniditions" it says the winner/mother (since she is under 18) must be a US citizen. Every game you play says that including the infamous McDonalds Monopoly. Toys R Us mostly likely had every legal right to refuse her that prize.

Lastly, I don't know the exact bill. But one of our bills being pushed through now has a tagline on it saying that illegal immigrants should get social security after only 6? quarters of work.

KICK THEM ALL OUT AND BUILD A WALL

(Lebanon County)

My wife is a Legal Chinese Immigrant, we both agree, these people here illegally need to be deported. In her words, 'I had to do so much paperwork, wait so long time, and pay so much money. Why do these poeple think they are better than me and not have to follow the rules?'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast