Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Need help on reloading...HELP...Got a few questions for you smart guys!!!

Hello, I just started reloading riffle bullets and have a few questions for you guys.

Right now I would like to reload some 30/30 Winchester bullets for my sons new marlin lever action (model 336).

I have:
    Once fired original Winchester brass cases.
    Sierra Pro Hunter Flat Nose 150 Grain bullets.
    IMR-3031 powder.

Ok, here is my question. The IMR reloading data book calls for 30.5 grains of powder for a 150 grain bullet. I have read on this website that it is best to start with a 10% reduction in powder to start off with, but in the Lee Manuel that came with the dies says it is not safe to reduce powder loads. Is Lee talking about significant powder reductions? So far the IMR reloading data book calls for the least amount of powder required to load me some shells.

This website says I should use 31.1 grains: http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail....FN&LoadID=7506

This website says I can use IMR-3031 From 26.5 grains to 35.5 grains:
    http://www.stevespages.com/308_9_150.html

So should I load up a few with a 10% reduction, or is it safe to assume that the IMR reloading book is correct and just go with 30.5. When should I worry about not having enough powder or too much?

Also, when measuring my empty brass, the specs say that they should be 2.040in long from end to end. I am I getting the following numbers from the first four brass I deprimed:

1. 2.039
    2. 2.034
    3. 2.040
    4. 2.033

What is the tolerance on these measurements and is there any problems with these numbers I have provided?

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Default Re: Need help on reloading...HELP...Got a few questions for you smart guys!!!

Why would you doubt what IMR is saying about their powder? The powder manufacturer will test their powder with various bullets and bullet weights. I would always follow the reloading manual from the bullet or powder manufacturer. You will notice different max loads from powder to powder. Every reloading manual that I own has a starting powder charge that they recommend. Follow their guidelines and you should be fine. The reloading forum link that you have posted is a very good place to start. If you want to play it safe...reduce those posted loads by 10% and work your way up.

My Hornady manaul shows the following for IMR 3031 for a 150gr

26.6gr-31.3gr max

Barnes Manual for their 150gr bullet IMR3031

27gr-31gr max

Default Re: Need help on reloading...HELP...Got a few questions for you smart guys!!!

I just wanted to make sure I was on the correct track here to play it safe. I don't want anyone to get hurt.

My Speer manual that came with the loader does not have any information on the IMR-3031 powder I have. The IMR book gives me a single grain measument of 30.5. I take it that is the max load they recomend and I should reduce it by 10% to start with? So use 27.5 grains?

What do you think about the case length I provide above. My Speer manual says max case length is 2.0395" and to trim-to length of 2.0295"

So saying that, I am safe to load these cases when they are within 2.0295" ~ 2.0395" correct? Is there a tollarance % as to when I should want to trim these cases, or always when they are longer then the max number above? They have only been fired once, so should there be any worry about case length at this point, or always check?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

(Bedford County)

Unlike H-110 - I do not remember 3031 being too dangerous to download.

I use a large (hot!) load of that in 45-70 for my Ruger #1 but would not be worried to download 10% - it is as I use it filling the case totally!

Re OAL - once fired cases should not have stretched much and 10 thou tolerance is IMO well acceptable. Bench rest folks will want 100% perfection but for general use the odd 10 thou will not IMO be too critical.

What is critical tho if OAL goes to excess is how much ''jump'' you allow. The 20 or so thou jump the bullet should have before engaging rifling - is a short period where peak pressures are slightly reduced - instant engagement thru excess OAL does give pressure peaks you don't want.

Try a case and bullet - empty and unprimed - and make bullet grip in case firm but not tight. With your estimated ''OK'' OAL - chamber the dummy round (gun pointing safe) and then extract. Look to see if bullet has any (at all) rifling marks.

If it has - then seat 10 thou or so deeper in final load and reduce powder a smidgeon. In the end, working up loads is down to care and testing in the gun - somewhere will be the ''sweet'' load that groups well.

Very often it is NOT the top book load at all - but a tad below.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

CombatCarry.com CCW forum

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Unlike H-110 - I do not remember 3031 being too dangerous to download.

I use a large (hot!) load of that in 45-70 for my Ruger #1 but would not be worried to download 10% - it is as I use it filling the case totally!

Re OAL - once fired cases should not have stretched much and 10 thou tolerance is IMO well acceptable. Bench rest folks will want 100% perfection but for general use the odd 10 thou will not IMO be too critical.

What is critical tho if OAL goes to excess is how much ''jump'' you allow. The 20 or so thou jump the bullet should have before engaging rifling - is a short period where peak pressures are slightly reduced - instant engagement thru excess OAL does give pressure peaks you don't want.

Try a case and bullet - empty and unprimed - and make bullet grip in case firm but not tight. With your estimated ''OK'' OAL - chamber the dummy round (gun pointing safe) and then extract. Look to see if bullet has any (at all) rifling marks.

If it has - then seat 10 thou or so deeper in final load and reduce powder a smidgeon. In the end, working up loads is down to care and testing in the gun - somewhere will be the ''sweet'' load that groups well.

Very often it is NOT the top book load at all - but a tad below.
    Thanks, can you tell me what OAL means?

Thanks! Mike

(Bedford County)

"overall length'' - OAL. Your mentioned 'total length'.

That is why I referred to the need for adequate bullet ''jump'' space. If your rifling/chamber set up is such that engagement is too soon with even quoted loading manual OAL - you must seat bullet a shade deeper, with a small reduction in powder if going for max loads.

If loads below max then no real prob - just be sure bullet is set deep enough - which might be sometimes at the negative end of OAL quoted tolerances. In your case - 2.0295" ~ 2.0395" - so the lower figure might be the one to go for, depending.
    Chris - P95

Ok, thanks for the info. I am going to load up (10) 28 grain powder loads using the 150 grain bullet and shoot them tomorrow. Does that sound safe?

(Delaware County)

I would start at the 26.6 gr. charge mentioned. That should be a safest place to start. At the very least, start at the 27.5 gr. charge you calculated.

If you are given just one charge - 30.5 gr., in this case, then your starting load is 10% below that, 27.5 gr. If you are given a range of charge weights - like "26.6gr-31.3gr max", you can start at the bottom end of the range, 26.6 gr.

Inspect the first fired case for signs of high pressure. You have a copy of "ABC's of Reloading," right? If your first case looks like the case from factory loaded ammo, with no signs of high pressure, shoot the rest of your test loads, and check those cases. If all look normal, then you can increase the charge. The amount of increase depends on the max charge... and the courage of the reloader. I think Richard Lee said it would be okay to increase from starting load to max in 5 steps in "Modern Reloading."

Ok, I went out and shot 15 rounds with 27 grains of powder and 15 rounds with 28 grains of powder. I seen no pressure issues whatsoever on the shells and my son is now not scared to shoot this gun. He likes these light loads as opposed to the store bought ammo (they kick less). Does anyone see any issues with me loading up 60 or so rounds with 28 grains of powder for hunting deer? The deer he will be shooting are typically within 50 yards.

Thanks,
    Mike

(Bedford County)

No issues I can think of at all.

This load is not too much under book max and as long as it shoots tight enough then it should do fine. I expect with the 150 grainer on that you'd be good out to 100 yards.

Might be worth checking grouping at 100 yds just for conformation the gun likes it well.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast