Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Being prepared... Preparing a survival kit.

Ok, so feel free to call me nuts, but I just watched the pilot for "Jericho" a TV show I downloaded on itunes, and since I am newly married and have more than myself to protect and take care of, I've been thinking that maybe I should be a bit more prepared, should something ever happen that I can grab a "pack" and be able to sustain my wife and myself for at least a couple days until... the government can rescue us (kidding).

Am I being too paranoid, or is it a good idea to be prepared and have a little bit of a backup plan and resources?

If packing a survival kit is a good idea, then what all should I include?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Being prepared... Preparing a survival kit.

Survival/Preparedness is something where its very easy to get sidetracked and focus on the wrong things.

While I do agree that at least 1k ammo per firearm makes sense, don't get the idea that if SHTF (Shit Hits The Fan), the world is going to turn into a Post-Apocalyptic Mad-Max type of scenario. This is pure fantasy.

Its also pure fantasy, the notion that if you have a BUG (Bug-Out-Bag), the best thing to do in an emergency is to pick it up and head into the forest to live of the land until things come back to normal. This is not only fantasy, its also quite dangerous.

You want some real information from somebody who's lived through an economic catastrophe on a national level, read FerFal's accounts of the 2001 crisis in Argentina, I found his story to be invaluable, full of great information, and he is a "realist" in every sense of the word. This link will really open your eyes to the necessities of survival versus the fantasy type of preparedness. It definitly opened my eyes, and I've been reading about this stuff for a while now.

Another good place to start is http://www.neardeathexperiments.com/ which is run by forum member NineSeven and has some great information and people to go along.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Cambria County)

Bugging in (staying home) is always your best bet unless it is absolutely impossible; don't fall for survivalist syndrome where you immediately think that a camo ruck and some water tabs is going to get you by out in the woods for an extended period of time. Everything you own (presumably) is in your home, you can't take it all with you, so staying there is obviously an optimal idea.

Having said that, we know that most of us are not in our homes 24/7, so a basic pack with survival supplies to put into your vehicle to take with you is the bare minimum of survival preps (a "get me home bag"). Start with that in mind.

Then, build your knowledge and skills towards being able to survive in the wild, because there may be a situation where you absolutely cannot stay home. For this, if your "get me home bag" is developed enough, it can double as your Bug-out Bag (BoB).

Having said all that, also realize that with a minimal Bug-out Bag, one can easily survive in the woods for 3-4 days with little to no training provided the weather is agreeable (not too hot, wet or cold). Just remember that water is life, all else comes second (food, shelter, medicine, guns).

Also, while I'm as much of a gun nut as anyone, firearms planning should come after survival planning, because optimally, you'll be doing a lot more surviving than fighting.

Head over to my forums and you'll find a wealth of information from many different perspectives. Don't forget to register as some of the boards can only be seen and accessed by members.

(Delaware County)

There isn't much 'wild' around me, so it would be more of a staying in place against any unruly mobs that may develop.

And here is a tip--

Buy a diesel vehicle.

On another forum dealing with trucks, they were discussing leaving the New Orleans area before Katrina.

Everyone there had gas vehicles, and as a result, gas stations were out of gas but had plenty of diesel.

It is the little things that end up getting you.

(Centre County)

Plus, in a pinch you can burn home heating oil, straight kerosene, lamp oil, Jet-A & JP4/JP8 in your diesel. You can even blend in 10-20% vegetable oil, depending on the vehicle and the season. A couple years ago, I was looking to buy a diesel SUV, but they're really hard to come by and I got sidetracked on a good deal for my current ride. I'm hoping to get a diesel withing the next couple years and I'm always lookin'.

Funny side note; I heated my house for free with Jet-A for a year.

I think "bugging in" is the best idea, and definitely keep a Pelican case in your car with 3-4 days supplies until you can make it home.
    Last edited by RandomTask; September 8th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Being prepared... Preparing a survival kit.

I've read FerFAl's writings for a few years. I used to talk with him over at Frugal Squirrels but have left that site a little over a year ago. The same guy that owns buildanark.net, owns Frugal Squirrels. Be careful if you join that site, John has a God complex.

FerFAL still posts and is a moderator at WarRifles.com

http://www.warrifles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46732
    Last edited by DaveM55; September 8th, 2007 at 02:57 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by countrytech View Post

Am I being too paranoid, or is it a good idea to be prepared and have a little bit of a backup plan and resources?
    It's always a good idea to be prepared. Just look around your house or apartment and look at all the resources you have in a 50 ft radius. I would rather try to defend my home than defend myself out in the woods (and I have a fair bit of woodsmanship training and experience). I'm not a McGyver, but I know how to use everything I own and have some good ideas how other things (lawnmowers, weed eaters, wood chippers, etc.) could be used in other ways if needed).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I'm not a McGyver....
    I am. I'll show you how to make a bomb out of two sticks of Juicy Fruit and a AA battery next time we get together.

(Berks County)

you can prepare for situations without sounding like a nut.......there are many reasons to have extra food and water and supplies to get out or get back to your house.....i have bout 20 gal jugs and smaller watter bottles becasue u never know if the city water supply isnt available, such as water main break, flooding that makes water undrinkable.....i have non persiable food stocked because i hate having to run to the store for something small, or i found a really good deal on this......i have lots of ammo because i like to go shooting and i hate to run out to the store before i go shooting or i got a good deal if i bought bulk......i have the outdoor survival supplies because i like to go camping.......i think you get my drift....you dont need to seem like a nut to be prepared.....also i wouldnt tell many people of the supplies you have unless you want them as guests if something does happen.........

(Berks County)

as for your second question on what to include......mind you im no survival expert and dont plan on living off the land with just a buck knife....

in my bob in no order of importance

water
    some food
    fire making material
    100 feet paracord
    2 knifes
    kinfe sharpener
    2 mini mag lights
    aa batteries
    15 mile 2 way radio with noaa all hazard
    shotgun ammo
    pistol ammo
    heat blankets
    change of clothes..boxers,socks,pants,long shirt,tank top
    light sticks
    head lamp
    windbreaker
    folding shovel
    machete
    pistol mags
    rain ponchos
    other things i cant quite think of
    and there are still a couple things i wanna get, the bob is always changing

just put things in there that will help you to make life easier till things cool down......i didnt make my bag to survive off of for years, but a couple days i might be ok

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast