Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What goes on during a PICS check?

I know about filling out the forms and the FFL making the call. The question I have (after a question was brought up by a friend) is what is the FFL telling the person on the phone and what is the PICS person looking at on their end? I can't think of anything being read off to the PICS person when they made the call. Are the questions we answer on the forms ever really looked at? I know the one time I purchased a gun the dealer made a joke to me about being a good guy but needing to slow down on the road. I guess any tickets show up on whatever the PICS is looking at.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Perry County)

Default Re: What goes on during a PICS check?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    I know about filling out the forms and the FFL making the call. The question I have (after a question was brought up by a friend) is what is the FFL telling the person on the phone and what is the PICS person looking at on their end? I can't think of anything being read off to the PICS person when they made the call. Are the questions we answer on the forms ever really looked at? I know the one time I purchased a gun the dealer made a joke to me about being a good guy but needing to slow down on the road. I guess any tickets show up on whatever the PICS is looking at.
    When I call PICS, I enter your OLN (driver's license number) on the touchpad. The system verifies through name etc. that you are you, which includes your SSN. A background check then occurs. If you have no arrests, no record is returned which makes the system as quick as it is. If there are things associated with your name, someone will be taking a look at it. The dealer is given nothing other than a 'proceed' and an approval number. They are given nothing about your background.

I can't speak to a felon trying to buy a gun, if there is any request by PSP to try and delay said person. I haven't encountered even a denial.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Jefferson County)

The call first goes to the automated system unless the FFL/Sheriff opts to use the operator first(UPIN's, reversal numbers, etc).

With the automated method - the system checks the NICS database and PA state level databases. If there is something iffy it will flag you and the call will rollover to an operator. If it the check sees something that is definitely bad - it can give an instant denial.

If the FFL/Sheriff opts for the manual or it rolls to the operator - the operator will ask a series of questions to help positively identify the purchaser versus the person who was flagged.

Sometimes a person is flagged because of similar name. So the operator asks those questions to differentiate between different people, or to make sure you are in fact the person they are looking up.

My PICS and NICS calls always go to operator. I have a smudge in my history that gets flagged, and there are a number of other people with the same name who are prohibited persons - one of which is on deathrow in Florida. My flagging requires the operator to research my challenge so that I don't get a denial.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Susquehanna County)

When I worked at GM, I talked to an operator one time that had me double check the answers to the questions at the bottom. Lying on the 4473 is a federal offense and the guy who filled out the paperwork had a warrant out for his arrest. The PICS operator told me to fax a copy of the 4473 to their office and asked me to try to keep the guy in the store as long as possible as the PSP was on the way.

That was an interesting day...
    Stay armed my friends.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    When I worked at GM, I talked to an operator one time that had me double check the answers to the questions at the bottom. Lying on the 4473 is a federal offense and the guy who filled out the paperwork had a warrant out for his arrest. The PICS operator told me to fax a copy of the 4473 to their office and asked me to try to keep the guy in the store as long as possible as the PSP was on the way.

That was an interesting day...
    SO did the PSP show up and arrest him on the spot or did he leave before they arrived?

(Centre County)

Cool Re: What goes on during a PICS check?

PICS: "Is he cute?"
    FFL: "Very."

2.5 minutes later...

FFL: "Alllllrighty! You're all set to go, bud."
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    When I call PICS, I enter your OLN (driver's license number) on the touchpad. The system verifies through name etc. that you are you, which includes your SSN. A background check then occurs. If you have no arrests, no record is returned which makes the system as quick as it is. If there are things associated with your name, someone will be taking a look at it. The dealer is given nothing other than a 'proceed' and an approval number. They are given nothing about your background.

I can't speak to a felon trying to buy a gun, if there is any request by PSP to try and delay said person. I haven't encountered even a denial.
    Ever since my incident last year, I've always been transferred to an operator when getting PICSed for a gun purchase.

However, just last week, a dealer told me that it's because I'm in the nuclear industry.

Any truth to that?

I do have a rolling 30 day FBI background check, but I don't see how that would trigger an operator, especially since it was the automated system up until my incident.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Clearfield County)

I too ALWAYS go to the operator, which I often wondered about, as I have absolutely no criminal record, and a very unique name (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the country, the only other person with that name that google finds died in the 1800's )

(Franklin County)

I've got an expunged weapons charge from 1994 and I breeze right through PICS without a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    ....., the only other person with that name that google finds died in the 1800's )
    If your name is John Booth, I could see how that would cause a delay.
    Because I can't fit Catman in my pocket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast