Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default My wife and a class 3 weapon

I have nearly convinced my wife to let me purchase something full auto. We have talked about how it would be as much an investment as it would be for fun". that prt we can bot hagree on.
    The thing she is worried about is the BATF/ any law enforecement to come in to our home any time they want with out warning to check on said firearm. I am wondering if they are allowed to do this, and if it acctually happens.
    Best
    Mike
    Last edited by MichaelB; November 18th, 2006 at 09:50 AM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: My wife and a class 3 weapon

No one will be able to enter your house without a warrant. This is one of the many rumors about class three weapons. You don’t lose any rights when you buy them.

Ken

(Montgomery County)

The rumor probably gets its basis in the fact that the ATF can come into an NFA dealer's store and perform a search of paperwork, weapons inventory and the like without notice... at least during business hours.

My wife originally wasn't too keen on the idea of having a class 3 around, but I showed her how prices have increased over the past years and she finally agreed. I bought the starter kit.. a SWD m11 9 and a few years later it's worth quite a bit more than what I paid.

Good luck,

John

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
    The thing she is worried about is the BATF/ any law enforecement to come in to our home any time they want with out warning to check on said firearm. I am wondering if they are allowed to do this, and if it acctually happens.
    This is one of the oldest (incorrect) rumors regarding Title II items.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Lebanon County)

So any fully auto weapon you buy goes up in value, and people will buy it?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willtallica View Post
    So any fully auto weapon you buy goes up in value, and people will buy it?
    Based on trends over the past few decades yes, in the future? Who knows, it's like any investment.

Honestly if you're looking to invest in something, most people I know (including myself) would recommend against machine-guns. While they have some things going for them (fixed supply, increased demand) all it would take is the stroke of a legislative pen to reduce them to worthless.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by Willtallica
    Based on trends over the past few decades yes, in the future? Who knows, it's like any investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Honestly if you're looking to invest in something, most people I know (including myself) would recommend against machine-guns. While they have some things going for them (fixed supply, increased demand) all it would take is the stroke of a legislative pen to reduce them to worthless.
    There are several factors interacting here. Investment-wise:

Pro: It would take the repeal of the Federal 1986 ban for the prices to fall. Rolling back Federal gun law is about as likely as a sparrow flying to the moon with a cinderblock tied to it. Think about it...when was the last Federal Gun law repeal?

Con: machineguns dramatically rose in value in Spring of 1986 when the manufacturing ban took effect, they have increased somewhat since then. Plus, there's the security element. Plan on adding at least a gun safe, if you don't already have one.

This is a simple numbers study. If you pick a class III weapon and check the market prices over the past 5-10 years, you should able able to roughly estimate the forecasted value during the time you plan to have it. Note that anything that deteriorates it, devalues it (ie, use). Between March and June of 1986, M16s went from $500 to $2500+, if you could find one. I saw an M16 clone recently for $13,000 used (example). Not bad in comparison to Wall Street.

Another consideration is venue. Some local LEOs won't sign off Class III transfer papers. A friend's father in law moved to Mechanicsburg for this reason years ago. And, finding a place to use it, even for a limited tryout, is a pain. Most ranges forbid their use & possession. So, do your homework. Study local ranges & their regulations. Feel out the mood with the local LEOs, if amicable, consider some philanthropic work that interacts with LE (DARE, etc). This will serve two purposes...worthwhile community service and create a network with the people you'll need to know when it''s time to have the forms signed off.

And then there are social factors...

(Philadelphia County)

I thought this thread was gonna have pictures of your wife shooting a machine gun.

Shame on you for misleading us!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I thought this thread was gonna have pictures of your wife shooting a machine gun.

Shame on you for misleading us!
    Yegads, man...I don't have pictures of ME firing the olde M-16. For that matter, I don't have a venue, either.

Settle for a handgun? Here she is with an '83 Belgian Hi Power 9mm...

Pistols on the table are a Glock 26 and an early 1960s German-made Makarov.

Here's #1 with SVD out back...

This is an older photo, we didn't shoot this day.

And Search & Destroy getting a little range practice last spring:

Guns in action: Winchester 9422, second segment is a Ruger Mk II MK678G.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    There are several factors interacting here. Investment-wise:

Pro: It would take the repeal of the Federal 1986 ban for the prices to fall. Rolling back Federal gun law is about as likely as a sparrow flying to the moon with a cinderblock tied to it. Think about it...when was the last Federal Gun law repeal?

Con: machineguns dramatically rose in value in Spring of 1986 when the manufacturing ban took effect, they have increased somewhat since then. Plus, there's the security element. Plan on adding at least a gun safe, if you don't already have one.

This is a simple numbers study. If you pick a class III weapon and check the market prices over the past 5-10 years, you should able able to roughly estimate the forecasted value during the time you plan to have it. Note that anything that deteriorates it, devalues it (ie, use). Between March and June of 1986, M16s went from $500 to $2500+, if you could find one. I saw an M16 clone recently for $13,000 used (example). Not bad in comparison to Wall Street.

Another consideration is venue. Some local LEOs won't sign off Class III transfer papers. A friend's father in law moved to Mechanicsburg for this reason years ago. And, finding a place to use it, even for a limited tryout, is a pain. Most ranges forbid their use & possession. So, do your homework. Study local ranges & their regulations. Feel out the mood with the local LEOs, if amicable, consider some philanthropic work that interacts with LE (DARE, etc). This will serve two purposes...worthwhile community service and create a network with the people you'll need to know when it''s time to have the forms signed off.

And then there are social factors...
    My head hurts, but now I understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast