Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Court decision blocks guns in national parks

//http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29781541/

Court blocks rule allowing guns in national parks
    Rule issued in the waning days of the Bush administration is overturned

WASHINGTON - A judge on Thursday blocked a federal rule allowing people to carry concealed, loaded guns in U.S. national parks and wildlife refuges.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly overturns a rule issued in the waning days of the Bush administration.

The rule, which took effect Jan. 11, and allowed visitors to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge as long as the person had a permit for a concealed weapon and the state where the park or refuge was located allowed concealed firearms. Previously, guns in parks had been severely restricted.

The Obama administration had said it was reviewing the Bush rule but had defended it in court.

A spokeswoman for Interior Secretary Ken Salazar declined to comment Thursday, citing the ongoing court case.

Restrictions adopted during Reagan years
    The Bush administration issued the gun rule in December in response to letters from half the Senate asking officials to lift the restrictions on guns in parks, which were adopted by the Reagan administration in the early 1980s.

The rule went further than a draft proposal issued a year ago and would have allowed concealed weapons even in parks located in states that prohibit the carrying of guns in state parks. Some states allow concealed weapons but also ban guns from parks.

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, one of two groups that sued to block the rule, called the judge's ruling a victory for the people.

"We're happy that this headlong rush to push more guns into more places has been slowed," he said.

Bryan Faehner, associate director of the National Parks Conservation Association, which also brought suit, said he was extremely pleased.

"We're especially glad to hear that the court is agreeing with the park rangers and the public who are concerned that there will be negative impacts from the (now-overturned) regulation and increased likelihood for opportunistic poaching of wildlife and increased risk of violence to the public."

NRA backed the Bush rule change
    The National Rifle Association had pushed for the Bush rule change, saying law-abiding citizens had the right to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's national parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulations were inconsistent and unclear, the NRA said.

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations protested the Bush rule change, complaining that it could lead to confusion and increased danger for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Court decision blocks guns in national parks

Um, how again did they take this to court and get all this passed some how through legal channels? Yes change we can count on!
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

Ok, well if I am attacked by an animal in a National Park, I guess I can then sue the Federal Government for Unconstitutionally depriving me of my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms, my constitutional right to life, and so on...

Oh that's right, The Fed is probably immune from its own negligence... well hell, it's not even negligence, it's attempted murder...

/rant

(Venango County)

How is it a "victory for the people" when it TAKES AWAY FREEDOM?????

Son of a -......where's that damn duct tape.....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Luzerne County)

I can't even put into words the amount of anger I have towards the ignorance of these politicians who never even step foot outside of their lavish homes and fancy cars to enjoy the wild, but they feel the need to stick their noses into my life and keep me from protecting myself and my family. And even worse are the people that keep electing them or don't vote to elect someone better!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Ok, well if I am attacked by an animal in a National Park, I guess I can then sue the Federal Government for Unconstitutionally depriving me of my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms, my constitutional right to life, and so on...

Oh that's right, The Fed is probably immune from its own negligence... well hell, it's not even negligence, it's attempted murder...

/rant
    Be sure if that happens you also include obama in the legal action as well as everyone else....lol.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKos View Post
    //http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29781541/

Court blocks rule allowing guns in national parks
    Rule issued in the waning days of the Bush administration is overturned...
    Wow... I'm really sick in my stomach over this. "...The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." Yeah, Right. Sounds like it's infringed to me.

(Allegheny County)

Like all places, the national parks are hurting for visitors. Vote with your wallet and don't visit. Send your letters to the national parks that you normally visit and let them know you are not coming anymore because of this.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Um, how again did they take this to court and get all this passed some how through legal channels? Yes change we can count on!
    That's what I'm trying to figure out... Why is it there seems to have been a lot of things pushed through since the Inauguration that seem to be suspicious, sneaky, or downright wrong? Since when does something like this go through a court? Nothing will ever be accomplished with the people running our government the way they work in circles. My dog accomplishes more when he's chasing his tail - at least its entertaining. This is stupid.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Somerset County)

This can not be true . We have been assured by our resident liberals that even if they wanted to change the rule it would take years to do .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast