Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Question Bound book question for C&R holders...

For those of you with a C&R, do you record every acquisition from the C&R list in the book no matter how you acquire it?

For example, if I buy a Mosin 91/30 from a local Dunham's where they call me in, should I record it in the book anyway? Or is the book strictly for items I purchased using my C&R license? I've been recording everything figuring that if I eventually sell something to a C&R holder out of state I can ship it directly to him/her and treat it like any other disposition. Is that the way you do it?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Bound book question for C&R holders...

You only need to record items that you have purchased with your C&R, where you gave the person a copy of your C&R. If you sell one of the items in your book, then it must also be recorded to whom you sold it to.

(Allegheny County)

OK that part makes sense.

But going back to my example above where I buy the Mosin from Dunham's: I don't record it. I get that. But in the future I decide to sell it to a C&R holder in another state. I know I can ship it directly because of my license so do I just include a copy of my C&R like usual even though it was never in my book?

(Monroe County)

You can but you dont have to, a copy of your drivers license will suffice, so he can put that in his book. You just need to keep his copy of the C&R. An individual can ship a firearm to any FFL, some dont accept it but that is the law, you can ship to him because he is the FFL.

One question though, why would you buy a Mosin from a store when with your C&R you can buy from SOG, AIM or numerous other sources for less money? usually at least.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by pakrazee View Post
    Why would you buy a Mosin from a store when with your C&R you can buy from SOG, AIM or numerous other sources for less money? usually at least.
    I definitely shop online first but during their President's Day sale I picked up another all matching round receiver 91/30 for $90 out the door. That's as good as most online places when you factor in shipping, plus I can see it before I buy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    For those of you with a C&R, do you record every acquisition from the C&R list in the book no matter how you acquire it?

For example, if I buy a Mosin 91/30 from a local Dunham's where they call me in, should I record it in the book anyway? Or is the book strictly for items I purchased using my C&R license?
    Yes you have to record every C&R transaction, even if you bought it from a gun store and had to fill out a 4473.

Quote Originally Posted by pakrazee View Post
    You only need to record items that you have purchased with your C&R, where you gave the person a copy of your C&R.
    I think this is wrong, what are you basing this on? The rules make no distinction that I can see between whether or not you buy it using your C&R license, only that it be a C&R firearm. It says you "shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms curios or relics".
    Last edited by MartinBrody; February 16th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

(Allegheny County)

See that's where I wasn't sure. I've been recording everything but then I started to question why I needed to record an item if I didn't use the license. The only reason I could see was on the disposition end.

Another example would be if I bought a C&R long gun from another PA resident. The license wouldn't be necessary for acquisition but (Martin) you're saying you would record it anyway, correct?

I guess it's better to be safe and continue doing it that way.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not a C&R FFL, I'm an 01 FFL. If I buy something OTC, I don't have to record it in any of my books and I can dispose of it under the laws of my state.

It says you "shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms curios or relics".
    I'm not an ATF Inspector (INAAI?) but I believe that "receipt" in this case only refers to firearms purchased using the C&R FFL.

However, to be sure, contact the Local ATF Compliance office. I have always found them to be most helpful and they can point you to rules, regs, flies, notices and such to clarify points of confusion.

I too am wondering why you bought OTC rather than just give Dunham's your FFL.

(Erie County)

I put every C&R firearm purchase in the bound book regardless of where or how I buy it.

(Allegheny County)

Seems like opinions are split down the middle. Thanks for the input everybody. Wiley, I think you're right in that a call to the ATF might be in order to clarify.

BTW, Dunham's won't accept the C&R... their policy. It's annoying but every now and then they have a nice piece at a nice price so I deal with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast