Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Advice Needed (Buying First Gun Tomorrow)

So I'm buying a .22 tomorrow most likely from Lock's Phila Gun Exchange. However, his prices seem to be very high compared to the prices I'm finding online. He said he has very few .22 rifles for $250, but online I see everything from a CZ 513 Basic to almost all the savages for under $200. I realize I'm not going to get as great a deal from a local gun shop as I can online, but the prices seem unreasonably high.

I'm no expert so I was wondering if you guys could offer some input. Is it taboo to try to negotiate and explain that you can get this gun far cheaper elsewhere, but would like to patronize your local store? I did tell him this would be my first gun so maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. I really want a .22 but I can't justify buying one for $100+ over what I could buy them for elsewhere.

Please give me the low down on this.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Advice Needed (Buying First Gun Tomorrow)

I shot a Mossberg Plinkster Sunday and it was a really decent .22...for under $100 Bucks! (The owner actually paid $78 if I remember right!)

(Philadelphia County)

I want a better quality bolt-action. This is my first rifle and I intend to do alot of shooting with it due to ammo prices so I'd rather go with a better one. I want it to last me a lifetime.

I've heard savages are great, and CZ are even better. I've also heard that the mossberg plinkster is mainly a low cost starter rifle that won't last forever nor is it of the best quality.

I'm not looking for an anschutz, but I want some thing at least savage or cz level.

I'm mainly asking for advice on how to politely tell the gentleman that his prices are much higher than elsewhere. I really would love to buy local, but I can't afford to buy local if that means paying almost $100 over what I could get the same gun for online.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Lawrence County)

Buy a CZ and shoot dimes at 50 yards with Wolf MT.

Basic CZ pricing:

http://www.whittakerguns.com/

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for that. I'm willing to pay up to $250 for the CZ 513 Basic ot CZ 452 Training, but anything over that is imo robbery.

The gentleman says he has over 100 new .22 rifles and many more used as well. So I'm hoping that we can come to a middle ground price wise. Perhaps he was just in a rush when he told me that he had nothing for under $250.

(Chester County)

You should try looking at the gun show this weekend in valley forge. You might find a better deal there.

(Delaware County)

Or try Miller's in Delaware County. It is jusy off I-95 on Chichester Avenue. Buy a CZ and never look back. I have a CZ Varmint in .22LR and it competes well in many games such as offhand silhouettes or bench type shooting.

If you need some instruction send me a PM.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Philadelphia County)

I'll be in FL so I won't be able to make it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    I'll be in FL so I won't be able to make it.
    Well, your gonna miss the lovely Nor'Easter coming on sunday then too....Lucky you!

(Chester County)

My opion of buying from someone whos prices are a bit higher....Everything is negiotable. Just dont insult the guy with a lowball number

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast