Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 357 Revolver ?

Default 357 Revolver ?

So I’ve been looking for the past couple weeks for a new hand gun… I would like a larger caliber. I currently own a .22, 9mm., and a .40 all auto’s. So I got my mind kinda made up on a 357 (even though the 45 acp is coming in a close second). I know with the 357 I kinda get 2 guns in one with the 38 ammo. My main purposes of this gun would be for the range and possibly a personal defense gun(not really looking into a hunting hand gun yet). I’ve never owned a revolver and been liking the little snub nose ones for the cc purpose. So any recommendations on a brand or model and which length of barrel would you go with and why? Are the snub nosed ones pretty accurate? Or even if you would get a 45 acp over the 357. thanks for any and all input. My budget limit is going to have to be around $500.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 357 Revolver ?

Snubbies are defensive range accurate, farther in good hands. With a 357mag round, you better be prepared for muzzle flash and blast. Hearing protection is critical.

The latest Shooting Times magazine has an article about snubbies and how they are often overlooked when picking a gun. They are still viable defensive guns and given the proper load and range time they are very formidable.

As for picking a snub over a 45acp, I already have a 1911 - it was a passing thing and collects dustbunnies under my mattress. Already have a snubby 38spl too. I'd probably pick a snub over any semi-auto, well depends on the choices and $ involved.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Regardless of which wheel gun you end up with a .357 IMO is a must have gun.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Adams County)

I had a Smith and Wesson model 60 for years, and loved it. 2 1/2 inch barrel, five shots, all steel. I personally carried it with .38 + P JHP, because of the recoil issues.

I sold it a year ago, but would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Now, I carry a 1911 all the time.

(Luzerne County)

I have several Smith 686s. I would recommend them to anyone. I have several barrel lengths. i would suggest a 6in. barrel.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

I like S&W revolvers. So my recommendations would be :
    S&W model 19- older model with pinned barrel and recessed chambers
    S&W model 66- same as above
    S&W model 686-any of the variations from -1 to -4.

ruger sp101 hands down!!
    It fits your budget and serves its purpose, great gun all around, powerful, dependable, durable, simple and reliable. Imo, no other manufacturer offers a better revolver within your budget.

Smith's are fine, but don't overlook Colts!
    My dad willed me his 357 Colt Trooper, 6" barrel. It was originally a patrolman's sidearm and is about 40 years old now. Decent ones can be had for about $200. The 6" barrel is changable if you want to try cc, but IMO it's a heavy gun for that use..
    It's a fun and accurate range piece, and my wife picked it as her home defense gun- mainly because she hates firing my other guns. Even with minimal practice, she is fairly accurate with 38 special rounds.
    Last edited by arks; January 11th, 2009 at 06:44 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

.357 is great, but I don't think I'd go for a snubby if I wanted an all around piece. I believe I would try to find a 4" barreled K-frame S&W which means I would be searching the used market. I don't have a preference for blue steel or stainless either and while adjustable sights have many pluses, I don't require them on a carry gun. Smith & wesson no longer makes K-frame .357 and as much as I like the 686, it is bulkier, but they are great revolvers.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Centre County)

Smiths and Colts are fine guns but don't dismiss Rugers. Their GP100 and SP101 lines are probably the most rugged 357 you're going to get. If you want a shorter barrel get the 3" barrel GP100. You said range and possible defense gun, personally I would get the 4" model, a very good all around 357. If you want it concealable you could go with the SP101, again another nice strong gun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast