Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Local Store Decides To Not Sell American Flags

http://www.wgal.com/news/20845701/detail.html

Local Store Decides To Not Sell American Flags

Some Customers Angered By Decision

POSTED: 12:47 am EDT September 11, 2009
    UPDATED: 1:55 pm EDT September 11, 2009

LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. -- Controversy is surrounding a popular general store in Lancaster County because of its decision to not sell American flags.
    A number of viewers have contacted News 8 about this decision, wondering if it was true.
    News 8 asked employees of Good's Store about the decision. They said that the owners are of the Anabaptist faith, which includes Mennonites and Amish. Their beliefs follow the teachings of love your enemies and non-violence.
    But that statement is not good enough for some of Good's customers, like Mary Elen Rice, of Holtwood.
    She thinks that Good's should sell the flags no matter what the owners believe.
    "They were persecuted from wherever they came from for their religious beliefs. So, they came here for their freedom," said Rice. "So, they should be proud to be an American, and the flag represents America as far as I'm concerned."
    Rice said that she vows not to shop at Good's again.
    The owners said that they accept any consequences of their faith and respect other people's viewpoints, but they will not sell the flag.
    Good's Store has been in business for more than 50 years. It has grown to include four locations in Lancaster and Lebanon counties.
    I can tell you, i wont buy a damn thing from them after reading that!!!
    Semper Fi

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Local Store Decides To Not Sell American Flags

I don't see a problem with it as long as their decision is to not stock any flag.

Is Mary Elen Rice also upset that they are so unAmerican that they do not sell hot dogs and apple pie?
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Allegheny County)

Those darn lefty Amish!

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

I'd like to hear more of their reasoning for not selling the flags. Is it because American forces are fighting a war and are not loving their enemies? Or is it more along the lines of the flag becoming a symbol akin to an idol?

In any event I wouldn't shope there anymore either if they are doing this as a political statement which it looks like it is.

(Montgomery County)

PATRIOTISM: AN ANABAPTIST PERSPECTIVE
    http://www.brfwitness.org/Articles/2003v38n3.htm

Christian allegiance can only be to that one kingdom--the Kingdom of God. The second chapter of Daniel illustrates the kingdoms of the world and the final one kingdom that will rule the world in righteousness-the Kingdom of God. True disciples of Christ respect the flags of all nations but give allegiance to the flag of no nation. Our allegiance is to a kingdom that will never fall (Daniel 2:44).

Many of us believe that we should not fly the flag of this or of any country. A flag is the representation of the political interests of a political area. We should not pledge our allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. Instead, we should stand respectfully for the recognition of any flag (or any dignitary) of any country, because God has established human government. Our lives and allegiance belong only to God and His kingdom, and not to any earthly realm.

(Butler County)

I am getting a little tired of people enjoying the freedoms that living in America affords them and then turn around to dishonor some of Americas most basic symbols.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba View Post
    I am getting a little tired of people enjoying the freedoms that living in America affords them and then turn around to dishonor some of Americas most basic symbols.
    Exactly!!! If your willing to enjoy not being shot by nazis, you'd better respect the people who died (and risked all) to keep it so! If not, you can feel free to GET THE HELL OUT!!!!
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    PATRIOTISM: AN ANABAPTIST PERSPECTIVE
    http://www.brfwitness.org/Articles/2003v38n3.htm

Christian allegiance can only be to that one kingdom--the Kingdom of God. The second chapter of Daniel illustrates the kingdoms of the world and the final one kingdom that will rule the world in righteousness-the Kingdom of God. True disciples of Christ respect the flags of all nations but give allegiance to the flag of no nation. Our allegiance is to a kingdom that will never fall (Daniel 2:44).

Many of us believe that we should not fly the flag of this or of any country. A flag is the representation of the political interests of a political area. We should not pledge our allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. Instead, we should stand respectfully for the recognition of any flag (or any dignitary) of any country, because God has established human government. Our lives and allegiance belong only to God and His kingdom, and not to any earthly realm.
    I've always had a problem with that little ideology. I don't think that it makes any sense. There is bad and good government and good and bad leaders. So would they give respect to dictators and such?

(Lehigh County)

I can not believe some people. The flag is a symbol of their right to choose which if any god to worship. I can not fathom how these people and disrespect a symbol of the very freedom they enjoy.

I am puzzled by this though? Was this a recent decision? or have they never sold the American flag? This won't have an impact on my feelings on the issue.

I respect their rights, just as I will excersize mine and not shop there.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcowboy View Post
    Exactly!!! If your willing to enjoy not being shot by nazis, you'd better respect the people who died (and risked all) to keep it so!
    Actually, Anabaptists could care less. If Nazis took over, they'd have continued living their lives to the best of their abilities following the word of God.
    Ironically, they'd probably fair quite well under Hitler, considering they're Christians of mostly German/Austrian decent.

If not, you can feel free to GET THE HELL OUT!!!!
    In a free country, there's not obligation to "get the hell out" for not being patriotic.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast