Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Converting .41 mag to .44

I need a .44, but I've got a .41 Mag. When I bought it a few yrs ago I did not know how expensive the ammo is. I don't plan to start re loading any time soon. I was wondering if a barrel and cylinder swap would do the trick & would the timing be the same. I'm calling S&W tomorrow to see if it is do-able. I was wandering if anyone else knew. Thanks.

Default Re: Converting .41 mag to .44

Probably much easyer to sell/trade your .41 and buy/exchange on a .44 Timing is one issue that would definatley come up, you would have to send the whole gun for refitting.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Northumberland County)

In the long run, you be WAY better off trading it in on a .44

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DR. GLOCK View Post
    I need a .44, but I've got a .41 Mag. When I bought it a few yrs ago I did not know how expensive the ammo is. I don't plan to start re loading any time soon. I was wondering if a barrel and cylinder swap would do the trick & would the timing be the same. I'm calling S&W tomorrow to see if it is do-able. I was wandering if anyone else knew. Thanks.
    You know the old cliche about the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other?

The devil says: Send you a PM, point out the cylinder line, aftermarket grips, and offer $400 for an obviously used gun in a caliber nobody shoots anymore, and that would cost $300+ to convert, even if you could do it.

The angel says: Tell him the 3" is the most uncommon variant of the 657, and thoroughly discontinued. It's also pre-lock, and in excellent shape. There is a small, but obsessed group of .41 Mag fanatics who'll pay top dollar for anything in .41 Mag, and who'll dang near wet themselves at the possibility of getting a factory 3" 657 in good condition.

If you have the original box and papers (and grip), you can easily sell this gun for over $800 on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica. If not, you can still get in the $600-$700 range.

DO NOT convert this gun -- it's worth way too much and they're never going to make anymore like the one you have. The model is almost completely dead, and only comes with the lock and a long barrel.

As a revolver nut, even the thought of doing what you're suggesting makes me flinch -- it's like taking an original '66 Mustang, pulling the motor, and replacing it with a Hemi. Sure, it'll go faster, but you've trashed a classic.

You can get a new 629 .44 Magnum for $500. And a used one for less than $400.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 1st, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Thats when things get sad, a box makes or breaks the price by $100 to $200....
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Thats when things get sad, a box makes or breaks the price by $100 to $200....

Niche market. I've never understood the collector mindset at that level. If you're dealing with a gun that's already been fired, and has a bit of wear on it, why does the box seal the deal? You can fire the gun, you can pet it, polish it, leer at it, or do whatever you're gonna do. Whether you have the box doesn't mean a darn thing unless you're going to sell it to some other drooling collector.

I see S&W "period" boxes that aren't even serial numbered to the gun that's going in them selling for $100+ on the S&W forum all the time. For a stupid cardboard box that doesn't even match -- it blows my mind.

Edit to add: Anyone who speculates in the gun market to make money is, inherently, a dick. If you collect, do it for the love of collecting, not to scarce out the market and blow up prices for people like me who like to own (and shoot) unusual guns. I've actually heard guys say "There were only 500 made. If I buy X# now, in Y years, I can move the market price $Z up."
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 1st, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

LOL I have a ruger box that is 58 years old? Any Bids? I know, collectors get wierd that way. You just have to go on ebay to see all the "vintage" bullet boxes there to know how it is.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    LOL I have a ruger box that is 58 years old? Any Bids? I know, collectors get wierd that way. You just have to go on ebay to see all the "vintage" bullet boxes there to know how it is.
    Funny

Ruger, for whatever reason, isn't stalked by the same kind of lunatics S&W and Colt are. The S&W guys are worse -- there are more of them.

(Not like I should talk, I own at least 15 S&W revolvers, but at least I shoot them all.)

Rule, what is the market for dispaly boxes? And how well do they sell. You know them nice hardwood boxes with the inlay and glass top or carved out top... I seen some thing that is really interesting to me, and it would make detailed carving work a snap. Mind you, once the machine $4000 + and the program to make these parts is here, I would have to learn how to use it and start selling things with it. But I love woodworking, so it would make a nice hobby...

I am presently talking about the machine to my wife. It may never materialize, it is an expensive toy to have around the basement, but if the parts made where to pay for the machine, it would certainly make the purchase much simpler.

Ill send you a pm of the machine

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the advise. I called S&W and barrel and cylinder are about $130 each. But I don't want to ruin a great gun so I'll leave it the way it is "for now".

If I keep the original parts and can I always go back to stock, doesn't that retain the value of the original gun and not wear out the .41 parts while I use it? I just wish .41 ammo was cheeper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast