Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Glock 17 Opinions

I've heard that the Glock 17 is the top of the Glock line. Why is this? I don't own any Glocks myself, I'm not a huge fan of the striker fire system, I like my good ole hammer. But in the latest edition of American Rifleman, it made number 3 I believe on the top handguns of all time. Is the Glock 17 merely better because it was the first or is there something different about it compared to the other models. (I know there are different caliber sizes, and frame sizes, so let's leave that out) Thanks in advance

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Glock 17 Opinions

The G17 is without a doubt the most reliable of the product line. One reason is that it was the first, it is the oldest and therefore the most mature platform with respect to engineering upgrades and it's caliber "fitting" its overall "design envelope".

I wouldn't put too much stock in that article. Those types of articles are included in magazines merely to fill up space and generate controversy in the form of "letters to the editor", most always beginning with "why wasn't ____ (fill in the blank) included".

(Allegheny County)

The G17 started it all for Glock in the gun making business. It's among the best 9mm sidearms out there. It has/had the fewest issues out of the product line. With normal maintenance they seem to last darn near forever, I.E. the Chuck Taylor G17. It may not fit everyone but it is hard to deny it was a revolutionary product for it's time that worked and really caught on.

(Allegheny County)

I have 2 G17's and IMHO they are one of if not the most reliable 9mm on the planet.

(Schuylkill County)

I'm a Glock hater i own 2 of them but i hate them, as far whats the best the 17 is it, it was the first is the most reliable glock they make, and has stood the test of time, and is still issued to alot of armies and police agencies around the world. if my only option in a handgun was a glock it would be the 17. i do have the 17 and the 20 but the 17 when i do shoot a glock is the one i grab. i wont sell them because my kids love to shoot it, they are comfortable to them, and hey everyone has to be confident in what they shoot if they like them then thats good for them and when they are old enough and want to buy their first Glock i will pay for it for them. Plain and simple the G17 works and will forever. Is it the most reliable 9mm on the market no in my opinion and alot of others that is the SIG line, is it the most reliable 9mm Glock makes you bet you sweet arse it is.

The 17 is so reliable is because it was designed from the ground up to be a 9MM combat sidearm. Alot of Glocks start life as one thing then the frames are streched and manipulated to handle a bigger caliber.. like the G22 .40 is a G17 9 MM on steriods .. it was not built from the ground up to be a .40...

(Butler County)

It was first.

I've got a stock G19 with 30k+ rounds down it. Everything is stock. It still goes "bang" every time.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mlbgpride View Post
    I've heard that the Glock 17 is the top of the Glock line. Why is this? I don't own any Glocks myself, I'm not a huge fan of the striker fire system, I like my good ole hammer. But in the latest edition of American Rifleman, it made number 3 I believe on the top handguns of all time. Is the Glock 17 merely better because it was the first or is there something different about it compared to the other models. (I know there are different caliber sizes, and frame sizes, so let's leave that out) Thanks in advance
    According to American Rifelman, what are #2 and #1? I'm not trying to steal the thread, I'm just curious.

(Lebanon County)

The G17 is the most popular because it is 9mm, which is most likely the most popular pistol caliber in the US. I doubt that other models are any less reliable. I would say any of the 9mm, .40 S&W, or .357 Sig models are equally 'top of the line' as far as reliability, and functionality. I'm sure the larger caliber models are as well but I have no experience with them and little data.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Allegheny County)

as others have touched on, glock designed the 17 from scratch.

then they modified that design to create all the other models.

things that are completely purpose built from the ground up usually work better than things that were originally made for some other purpose and then modified for a new purpose.

you can sort of think of it as gaston saw a round hole, so he made a round peg exactly the size of the hole to stick in it. after that, people saw how well the peg fit in the hole and asked him to fit it into other holes. but the other holes are slightly different sizes or shapes, so the peg had to be modified and thus doesn't fit in those holes quite as well as the original peg fit in the original hole.

i would also be curious to know what guns they listed as #1 and #2 and why they put them above the G17.

imho, the G17 is *the* best handgun ever made.
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast