Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Why Did George Sodini Shoot Women?

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/..._shoot_wo.html

What does Sodini talk about most in his log? Not women, sex, or dating, but time. Time wasted and the lack of a future. He was realizing he had run out of time.

Does media reporting of this cause more shootings to happen?
    Yes.

[He goes on on to explain why...]

Will this happen again?

Yes. This is the generation that wants it to happen again and again. I defy anyone to tell me they overheard someone say the following sentence: "why would anyone want to shoot young women at a health club doing latin dance? It's crazy, it just doesn't make sense!" Anyone?

No, this is what you hear, everywhere: "I don't condone what Sodini did, but I can understand it..." That feeling is societal. It takes on different forms, sex, politics, etc, but the form is an illusion, the substance is "I'm not the person I thought I'd be; no sees me the way I want to be seen."

It may not be a shooting rampage-- it could be a bombing, or a "politically motivated killing"-- but it's the same: "they" kept "me" down long enough...

It's social justice, narcissism style: everyone deserves what they get, and gets what they deserve.

I think his reasoning at the end is not quite right, but I agree that narcissistic thought is a pervasive and dangerous problem.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Why Did George Sodini Shoot Women?

Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

I think this guy is a little off his rocker himself.

This is the generation that wants it to happen again and again. I defy anyone to tell me they overheard someone say the following sentence: "why would anyone want to shoot young women at a health club doing latin dance? It's crazy, it just doesn't make sense!" Anyone?
    WTF?! I never heard anyone say exactly that but I have heard people say "why would someone do that?"

Is he upset because those people left out "young women" or the "latin dance" part?

Is this guy a comedian or is he really serious?

The "young" part is sort of subjective. Most seemed to be over 40 which I know is considered to be the new teens but nooo not really.

(Northampton County)

This guy is out of his mind.

(Allegheny County)

Perhaps I should have continued in the other thread (since this is a written followup).

The Last Psychiatrist is a bit tongue-in-cheek. I believe he is a real psychiatrist but I cannot say so for certain.

The argument that he hasn't heard someone say this is crazy is a bad setup for what he says next, which is that society is at large narcissistic and in denial about its potential to kill.

The Sodini case makes this even more apparent because we can see into the mind of the killer. We can see how he could see the world as he did. And the Last Psychiatrist then shows us how he was responsible yet at the same time blinded by his need to protect his ego.

What I do like about this article is that it refutes claims that merely getting laid would not have sufficed. Sex tourism, prostitution, or even mail order brides would not have worked because his problem was a need for external validation. It's not as simple to say, "Gee he was dumb, he could have spent it all on hookers."

I'm sure it occurred to him.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Women rejecting him was his focus. It was the death of 1000 cuts of rejection. Rejection+ depression can= rage.

What needs to be analized is why he was seemingly rejected, what started the spiraling down. Did it start when he was a teen for instance? Had he been suffering from clinical depression for years, untreated? Often men won't seek help for depression, trying to "man up" instead, then it can just get worst.

As to the media hype and glorification deal, I was reading one of my old journals from 1991, and had written alot about this. It is nothing new at all. In 1989 the news media made a huge deal about a shooting in Stockton CA, not just due to children being killed, but the AK the guy used. It seems that in the months after they focused more on the AK than the victims. I have news articles I cut out and saved and it's "assault weapons" this and that, LOTS of it. It goes on for years till the Clinton ban.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Allegheny County)

1. I blame the lack of parenting by his father (or father figure) to teach him to suck it up, man up and move on.

2. Hollywood/Society (some of it), he thought having nice stuff would help as well.

3. The first person that shot people and had a ton a media coverage for a similiar situation.

(Armstrong County)

He said "his mother didn't love him"... I think that his mother may have been overbearing or the dominate parent. He also could have been a closet homosexual and thought it was against everything he was taught by his mother, religion, society...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by cindystephan View Post
    He said "his mother didn't love him"... I think that his mother may have been overbearing or the dominate parent. He also could have been a closet homosexual and thought it was against everything he was taught by his mother, religion, society...
    Mom? Is that you? LOL

(Armstrong County)

Yes, son you forgot your gym bag with your pistols by the back door LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast