Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default I wanted to go shooting w/ a friend, but his anti-gun mommy didn't let him

This last Sunday, I was talking to one of my friends online. At first, we just talked about how his vacation in Florida was. But gradually, the conversation shifted to firearms. My friend (he's 20 years old) asked me if he could get together with me (I'm 19) at a local range and shoot my Ruger 10/22. I thought that it was a good idea. He had no prior shooting experience in his life and I thought that a Ruger 10/22 would be the perfect plinking rifle. So we decided to get together at a local gas station and I would drive him over to an outdoor shooting range from some plinking. We already agreed in advance that when we got there, we would go over safety (hearing protection, eye protection, loading, unloading, checking for misfeeds, keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, aiming, firing, etc) before we did any shooting.

The next day, I got a call from my friend telling me that he planned to take the bus to the gas station where we would meet up (he can't borrow his mom's car because his mom doesn't even trust him with that, LOL). I said ok and told him to call when he got there. A few minutes later, I got another call from him. This time, he said that his mom would drive him to that gas station in half an hour and I said fine. A few minutes later, I got a third call from him. This time he called to say that his mom wouldn't let him go to the shooting range. I was like WTH. I asked why and he told me that his mom was an anti-gun liberal who absolutely despised firearms. His mother told him that guns can randomly explode and kill you, shooting ranges are dangerous places, and that she would not let him go to a shooting range.

ROFL, when I heard that, I could only imagine him at the age of 30 and still living with his mother. I thought it was absolutely absurd that his mother would not let him go shooting. Heck, he's 20 years old and a legal adult. He can make his own decisions in life. I've known him for several years and I know that he's a responsible person. He's not the party-animal type of person. He's the type of person who is quiet, reserved, and respectful. I've also known that his mother is the type of parent who tries to control every aspect of his life. He's 20 and his mother still won't let him drive by himself. I think that level of control will actually end up hurting him in the long run since he won't have a lot of practical skills. What do you think about this incident? I'm eager to hear other peoples opinions on the issue.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I wanted to go shooting w/ a friend, but his anti-gun mommy didn't let him

My parents always said "If you live under our roof, you live by our rules. If you don't like it, there is the door." I respected the rules set down before me and the more I proved that I was a trustworthy person the more freedom I got.

If your friends mom doesn't trust him with different things then there is a reason for that. Maybe the friend that you think you know is totally different at home, did you consider that?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I wanted to go shooting w/ a friend, but his anti-gun mommy didn't let him

While his Mom might be a little retarded, I think your friend is the one with the problem. Time to man up a bit and get his own place, his own car, and his own identity.

(Allegheny County)

^^^^^^^^
    what he said

and maybe his mom is just as described.

the answer? get a job, move out, live your own life.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    My parents always said "If you live under our roof, you live by our rules. If you don't like it, there is the door." I respected the rules set down before me and the more I proved that I was a trustworthy person the more freedom I got.

If your friends mom doesn't trust him with different things then there is a reason for that. Maybe the friend that you think you know is totally different at home, did you consider that?
    Yes, I've considered that but it simply isn't true. I know this guy too well and he is definitely not misbehaved. His mom is just the control-freak type of parent.

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    While his Mom might be a little retarded, I think your friend is the one with the problem. Time to man up a bit and get his own place, his own car, and his own identity.
    Lol, he doesn't even have access to his own bank account bc his mom controls that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    what he said

and maybe his mom is just as described.

the answer? get a job, move out, live your own life.
    He already has a job, but he doesn't have access to his bank. His mom controls that too. He will move out in one year (when he transfers to Penn State main).

(Northampton County)

You'll both get over it. 19-20 years old is tough if you live with parents.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post

I agree with this post. When I was young, I heard this many times from my parents. I did't like it then, but I now know what they were doing was right in a lot of ways. I did get tired of hearing this and moved out when I was 16. I rented an apartment over my next door neighbors garage... I found out real quick my parents were pretty damn smart.

If I were you, I would encourage my friend to get out on his own if he doesn't like the rules. I wouldn't cause an issue with his parents while he is living there. I don't disagree with you that his mother is being unreasonable about the guns... House rules are just house rules.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    Yes, I've considered that but it simply isn't true. I know this guy too well and he is definitely not misbehaved. His mom is just the control-freak type of parent.

Lol, he doesn't even have access to his own bank account bc his mom controls that too.

He already has a job, but he doesn't have access to his bank. His mom controls that too. He will move out in one year (when he transfers to Penn State main).
    The checks come in his name with a job. He can open his own account and deposit them in there, and get his own place. It's pretty simple really, just have to have a job and a little bit of balls to tell mommy to back off.

(Perry County)

Sounds to me like someone NEEDS to get out on his own. If he doesn't, he'll be living at home when he is 60 giving his mom sponge baths. EWWWWWWW.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; August 18th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    but he doesn't have access to his bank. His mom controls that too.
    OK, that tells me Mom is too involved in her adult son's affairs. He's letting it continue though, so I think he needs to grow a pair and get out on his own. Is he one of those young guys who's willing to put up with anything as long as it means he doesn't have to pay his own way?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast