Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Competition shooting in NJ

Aside from the million of people who are probably chomping at the bit to just post the obvious and suggest not going to NJ... How does a PA resident, by the letter of the law, go to NJ to shoot a match (IDPA, USPSA, steel, etc.)?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Competition shooting in NJ

There is no "aside from the obvious". Enter the DPRNJ at your extreme peril. This is not subjective, it is empirically factual.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Montgomery County)

Google Brian Aitken... He was sentenced to 7 years in prison for having unloaded guns locked in his car.

New Jersey has successfully made it possible for just about any firearm, no matter how it is transported or used to become a major criminal liability. The lawmakers for the people of New Jersey are against you and will take your freedom if given the chance. Step on their dirt at your own risk.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Pike County)

Why risk it. If you run into trouble with New Jerseys finnest you will lose your right to own and carry guns for ever. Not a chance I'd like to take.

(Northampton County)

I don't know about competition shooting, but I go to shoot clays in NJ all the time. I live in Easton and go to the public game land in Clinton NJ. I have my shotgun in a locked hard case in my trunk and the ammo in the glove compartment.

Before the first time I went, I called the local NJ State Policr barracks and told him "I am a PA resident and want to come shoot in NJ with my friend who is an NJ resident. What do I need to do in order to be legal and avoid trouble?"

He told me keep them locked and separated. I did. I didn't speed, I used my blinkers and just avoided driving in a way that would attention.
    Last edited by Draxton Smitz; September 5th, 2011 at 09:31 AM.

utterly amazing that you can't transport firearms through NJ.

I work in NJ, and take either a half day on fridays or a full day on fridays off. I used to go to work carrying my AR and M1A along with assorted handguns in my vehicle with the intention of stopping off at my local range in PA to shoot, this range was more or less on my way home from work.

All that stopped once I came on here and got set straight, and than read the Brian Aitken story. I never had any idea of the trouble I could get in. I thought as long as they are unloaded and locked I would not have any issue. Man do I hate NJ...

Quote Originally Posted by Draxton Smitz View Post
    I don't know about competition shooting, but I go to shoot clays in NJ all the time. I live in Easton and go to the public game land in Clinton NJ. I have my shotgun in a locked hard case in my trunk and the ammo in the glove compartment.
    Like here in PA, transporting handguns in NJ is FAR more restrictive than long guns.

(York County)

Question Re: Competition shooting in NJ

Why go to New Jerky to shoot ? You cannot find a match/range to shoot at here in PA?

All it takes is one accident behind the wheel to involve the police and you could be screwed. Even though you might win in court,it will cost you many $$.

Why take the chance ?

(Lycoming County)

Here is a thread that covers it: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...al-page-2.html

Pay close attention to Soberbyker's post.

Be safe (crossing the river).

Scott