Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Metalworking lathe

Anybody here familiar with lathes? I inherited a Logan model 200 lathe and originally thought I'd learn to use it, but I am just too busy with life. I need to know what to ask for it. I am thinking of finding a place to sell it, possibly craigslist. Thinking of using the proceeds to finance a couple of new handguns. Thanks for any input. Bob

(Washington County)

Default Re: Metalworking lathe

After looking at the pictures that popped up on the google search, I'd say it looks like about a 9" lathe. craigslist would probably be the best place to start since it's free and local. you could try ebay, but then you'd have to deal with either shipping or finding a local customer. searching ebay's completed items, there's a logan 200 that DIDN'T sell for $500.

depending on what tooling you have with it, and if it has a quick-change gear box or not. i don't know that much about logan's, but it looks somewhat similar to my 9" southbend, except mine has the QC gearbox. a lathe like my south bend without tooling would sell for about $500, give or take a $100. the condition of the ways is also important.

if it were mine, i'd do a little more research and see what lathes have sold for in your area. unless I found out that particular model is very desirable, I'd probably advertise it at $750-$1000, or trade for guns. you can always come down in price or re-list it at a lower price.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Metalworking lathe

Unfortunately the older belt drive lathes dont command much $$$ any more. For about 2x the cost of a belt drive you can get a gear head lathe that is not only more versatile but also easier to maintain.