Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Philly to follow Lancaster's lead in fining MC riders with loud mufflers.

Since the thread about Lancaster fining MC riders $150 for loud mufflers was almost instantaneously hijacked into a flame war about wearing helmets, I thought I'd take my chances and start a new one. Forever the optimist, I'm hoping this one doesn't take the same turn.

DiCicco: Muffle motorcycles

We've all heard them -- the ear-splitting exhaust systems on some motorcycles that make you jump two feet off the sidewalk. City Councilman Frank DiCicco will introduce a bill Thursday to slap a $1,500 fine on anyone using or installing the after-market mufflers that boost the loud factor. "These guys think it's ok to rev their engines, roar down the street and disturb our neighborhoods," DiCicco said. "they have no thought for the people around them."

DiCicco will also ask for stories from residents to back up his bill.

Bold is (obviously) mine. The story is here.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/h...l?text=xlg&c=y

Councilman Frank DiCicco is proposing to up the ante 10 fold from Lancaster's fine, to the tune of $1500. Hopefully this guy can write a legal document with less sarcastic overtones and hyperbole than when he's interviewed. Just like so many other politicians, he'd rather spend the time, effort and money introducing new bills than getting the people in charge of enforcing the existing laws to do their f*cking jobs.

Summary of current noise ordinance:

Enforcement of Noise Ordinances:
    According to the new noise ordinances, nuisance noise can be ANY disturbing noise that is more than 10 decibels above the regular background “ambient” noise levels. The South Street Police detail which operates from a Mini-Station in the 900 block of South Street has a number of officers now trained and equipped to measure noise disturbances with highly sensitive noise meters. They are empowered to issue tickets to offenders, and have been since 2004. Offenders can receive tickets up to $300!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Philly to follow Lancaster's lead in fining MC riders with loud mufflers.

Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME? Philly? Really? Have you ever been in Philadelphia? What about the "thugs" with the stereos that cost three times what their whole car did blaring their "music" so loud that the trunk is going to rattle right the fuck off the car and the whole ground is shaking? You hear that shit CONSTANTLY. But are they getting fined? Hell no.

I have spent a lot of time in Philly. It's constant "thug" music being blasted. I probably deal with that bullshit 75 times for every 1 motorcycle that goes by. Un-fucking-believable.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Philly to follow Lancaster's lead in fining MC riders with loud mufflers.

Personally, I'm all for it and hope that more communities follow suit. There is nothing more annoying that listening to MC riders slam through the gears on their bikes.
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post
    Personally, I'm all for it and hope that more communities follow suit. There is nothing more annoying that listening to MC riders slam through the gears on their bikes.
    Yeah well they need to target everyone, not just bikes. That's the part that pisses me off. These fucking assholes with their ground shaking stereos are a much bigger nuissance. Anyone who wants to argue that can go right ahead, but only after they spend some time in Philly or any other major city.

(Berks County)

Have Lancaster or Philly listed what dB level is the limit? I have aftermarket mufflers on my bike but they aren't all that loud. They just sound deeper than stock. I agree that guys running straight drag pipes with no mufflers sitting at red lights blipping their throttle take it too far. But if they're saying that any aftermarket exhaust is illegal, then it's some bullshit. Like I've said, there are other things on the road that make WAY more noise than my mufflers that no one seems to give two shits about doing anything about.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Yeah well they need to target everyone, not just bikes. That's the part that pisses me off. These fucking assholes with their ground shaking stereos are a much bigger nuissance. Anyone who wants to argue that can go right ahead, but only after they spend some time in Philly or any other major city.
    I completely agree. I think in my area bikes are more of a problem. It's kind of sad when you can hear a bike both coming and going from your location. Does a bike have to be insanely loud and obnoxious to be enjoyable?

Don't get me wrong, I like the rumble of a muscle car as much as the next guy, but some people on bikes take it way too far.
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

I agree that all excessive noise produced by motor vehicles should be subject of possible fines. From loud pipes to stereo's to those stupid muffler mods. that kids think are cool. Particularly if modifications have been made beyond the stock vehicle.
    I honestly don't see why people need to hear endless parades of noise past their homes. Some noise is unavoidable, but it gets ridiculous.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I agree that all excessive noise produced by motor vehicles should be subject of possible fines. From loud pipes to stereo's to those stupid muffler mods. that kids think are cool. Particularly if modifications have been made beyond the stock vehicle.I honestly don't see why people need to hear endless parades of noise past their homes. Some noise is unavoidable, but it gets ridiculous.
    I have mods "beyond the stock vehicle" but my bike is NOT overly loud. I would guess that a lot of stock bikes AND 4-wheeled vehicles are louder as a matter of fact. That's why I think if the law reads "any aftermarket exhaust" being illegal, that would be bullshit, and would be meant simply to go after bikers, not to actually solve any kind of problem.

So you could have a bike/car that passes inspection, but it still isn't good enough to drive in philly or lancaster?

wonder if your shit has to smell like roses too?!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME? Philly? Really? Have you ever been in Philadelphia? What about the "thugs" with the stereos that cost three times what their whole car did blaring their "music" so loud that the trunk is going to rattle right the fuck off the car and the whole ground is shaking? You hear that shit CONSTANTLY. But are they getting fined? Hell no.

I have spent a lot of time in Philly. It's constant "thug" music being blasted. I probably deal with that bullshit 75 times for every 1 motorcycle that goes by. Un-fucking-believable.
    That was exactly my thought when I heard this on the news this morning just after I stopped for gas. While I was filling up, my fillings started rattling out of my head cuz some guy with a pair of subwoofers taking up his entire back seat refused to shut down his tunes while he pumped gas (with his doors open), an 18 wheeler hit the jake brake going through town, and a motorcycle rider who apparently has some form of parkinsons that causes his right wrist to constantly twitch sat at a red light, and were all within 100 feet of me. So why does the biker get singled out?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast