Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Carrying an empty holster in your carry on luggage?

I just brought a crossbreed holster and am interested in taking it with me in my carry on as I won't be checking any bags. Would TSA have any issue with having a holster only in carry on luggage? Also, the new crossbreeds have the metal clips on them, is there any way that those could be considered any type of weapon? I'm really not interested in taking a new holster with me just to have it confiscated! Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Carrying an empty holster in your carry on luggage?

I would think that it should be ok, but they are the TSA and seem to make up their rules as they go along. I found a good buy of new, unprimed 45LC brass one time when I was in Salt Lake City. I tossed it in my carry on and of course it showed up on the xray and they said I couldn't carry it on because it was ammunition. I argued a bit, they got the supervisor, who got a police Sgt (who told the TSA people that it WAS NOT ammunition, it WAS NOT dangerous, and COULD NOT hurt anyone) but they said we don't care what the police say, we're the TSA and we make the rules. As to not miss my flight I packaged them up and mailed them to myself. The TSA people have no common sense and do whatever they want to.

Since you never know what might happen, you might want to mail/ship it to yourself at whatever destination you are going. If you're staying at a hotel, mail it there and call them saying a package will be coming for you. They will hold it until you check in.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

I went on Vacation with a few friends, and two of them brought their firearms with them, they checked them in the proper way. They had their holsters and mags in the same case with the firearms..

Are you taking a firearm?
    If so, why not just keep it with the firearm.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

I'm visiting family and just wanted to take the holster with me to show my dad, so I'm not taking a firearm with me or checking any baggage.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcisbig View Post
    I'm visiting family and just wanted to take the holster with me to show my dad, so I'm not taking a firearm with me or checking any baggage.
    I can't imagine there being a problem with taking an empty holster with you.
    It is in no way a weapon of any kind.

Call the TSA Contact Center and find out.
    Here is the contact link. (The contact center# is at the very bottom of the page)
    http://www.tsa.gov/contact/index.shtm
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Delaware County)

While visiting family across the country last week, my father gave me 14 brass 45 cases and 3 nickel plated 223 cases because he knows I reload. It was not "ammo" so I just tossed it in my CURB CHECKED bag without any declaration. Last Sunday I flew back with a plane change in Chicago. After showing up at the second plane to line up for my flight to Philly, all of a sudden, 4 TSA people who had been standing around, announced to the group that they were doing random checks.

Guess who they random checked first with a pat down and a second inspection of my carry on baggage?

I figure TSA at the first airport spotted the brass, thought about it, then flagged me for a second inspection inside the security zone at the second airport.

All the more reason I prefer to drive when I can.

(York County)

I would mail it to your address. I just heard that you can't even carry shampoo on an airplane. I wouldn't imagine how they would freak out if you brought anything that has to do with guns on board.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    ... I just heard that you can't even carry shampoo on an airplane...
    It's not shampoo, it's any liquid container with a capacity of more than 3 ounces. Water bottles to shampoo bottles.

Fwiw, a few months ago, the Pittsburgh TSA stopped an 80-something year old WW II veteran and wouldn't allow him beyond the scanners until he removed and got rid of his dangerous contraband - his Medal of Honor. You just can't trust those old geezer terrorists who just happent to be WW II heroes.

I didn't believe it but I read it in the paper. Thankfully commonsense prevailed - eventually.