Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Todd Jarrett Technique Videos

http://myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/shooting.html?feedPID=roI_0LRpH7qQmkKcVa8X0Vt80ahw O0rX Some REALLY great videos from Todd Jarett on shooting technique. I am FARRRR from being able to do any of that but would be cool to get to be that good at some point. Stole the link from someone that posted it over at the Pitcairn Monroeville club forums

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Todd Jarrett Technique Videos

You can do that.

99% of it is grip and getting a front sight focus to be natural.

Lycanyoucandoit!thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Well perhaps I will have to start trying to make it to some of the Thursday practice sessions and learn from some of the masters at Pitcairn Monroeville Club.

(Lawrence County)

I'll have Bear Titan whipped into M class in a year.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Cambria County)

Good Videos. Thanks for the link. I enjoyed them, and may have learned something too.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Todd is very good. He is also a really nice guy to talk to. I spent a weekend with him shooting at Blackwater.
    There are some tricks I learned from him that can help you jump your time and scores.

One, his pistols slide feels like it floats on the frame. You pull the slide back it feels like it is on ball bearings. You need to spend some time lapping your slide. Experiment with different springs until you find one that works best with your light loads.

Two, you need to load the round so that there is just enough energy to cycle the slide and feed the next round. Recoil is your enemy. Remember your targets are under 50 feet why do you need a 1100 ftps muzzle velocity. You just need enough energy to knock the plate over.

Third, plan on practicing all the time. Todd told me he wears his rig while he is at home. He draws and aims at lamps, TV, wall switches, corner of a table and so on. Make sure your gun is unloaded before you try this a home.
    Todd told me he was putting 500 to 1000 rounds a week through his guns.
    Lucky for him his ammunition is provided to him at no charge.

I don't want to sound cocky, but it's kind of funny with the first video (shooting on the move) as all of those moving techniques I learned and practiced for years and years in Marching Band and Drum Corps -- moving in the direction walking on a plank while keeping the upper torso kept towards the target.

Great video links, though -- this should be sticky'd.

Thanks for the links, I've seen some of these on tv, but haven't been able to catch all of them. I really enjoy watching Todd shoot, his technique is so smooth.

(Philadelphia County)

Nice for competition, but take him off a well manicured range and you might run into some stumbling problems. Walking the tightrope is definitely not stable and the backwards movement is asking to end up on your ass.

what he calls "Speed reloads" are pointless

reloads with retention are essentially pointless. Just drop the partial. I know someone will debate this but i have my reasons. I won't say you can't pick it up given the time since it's only supposed to be done during a lull in the action. But i prefer keeping things simple. No juggling magazines, no need for dexterity under stress. Your movements remain the same for every reload. Maybe it's just because i have small hands and big double stack magazines. Back in the day when the tactical reload was being taught at gunsite guns held 7-8 rounds in slender single stack magazines and a full carry load was seldom more than what i have in my gun i guess it made more sense.

Just my take from the fighting perspective. He's clearly kickass at what he does.
    Last edited by MarcS; September 25th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.

We were taught to 'walk on skiis', lower our center of gravity, but maintain upper body control. Moving backwards we were taught to stay up on the toes instead of rolling back toe to heel.

As for reload with retention, I don't know -- if you're moving from one section to another that'll require more rounds that are in the mag, but you can switch in the time you're moving and still have the backup of those extra rounds for another part of the course of fire... I can see certain scenarios where it might be useful.

I'd say, if you have the time while travelling and think you might need the extra rounds, may as well, just in case. Just have a Plan B if you drop it. ;p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast