Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Is it legal to shoot a rabid animal?

I had a conversation with a neighbor the other day snd she swears she saw a rabid fox. Now granted her feeling that the animal was rabid was based only on the fact that it was out during daylight.

While I asured her that that alone was no cause for concern I began to think "what if it is a rabid fox". I live in a wooded area and I am very aware what a rabid animal looks like. So my question is this. If you see an animal on your property and are reasonably sure it is going to harm you, your children, or just maybe any one in the neighborhood. Can you shoot it?

I have done this before in Md, but then just called the Animal Control and they came out and picked it up and took it away for testing, never heard another word.

BB
    Last edited by Brown-Bear; April 1st, 2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
    3%

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Is it legal to shoot a rabid animal?

I'd say it is ok to dispatch a suspected rabid animal as long as you can do it safely...(as in safe to other people in the neighborhood.)

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I live in a wooded area and I am very aware what a rabid animal looks like.
    BB
    They are not always "falling down drunk" looking. In the early stage of infection, they can appear fairly normal and healthy. While I may get flamed for this, "out in the daylight" is a pretty fair threshold I too live rural and do not have neighbors that complain of gunfire (I shoot several days a week). That being said, if they are out in daylight it failed my rabies test

Flame away!

Be safe (and rabies free!).

Scott

(Allegheny County)

i'm pretty sure it is illegal.

but, depending on what part of the state you are in, the local authorities might agree that common sense should rule.

i also suppose that a rabid animal might attack you and you might be forced to defend yourself.

(Westmoreland County)

If it can be done safely it will be done. It's pretty hard to contain such an animal while animal control responds.

(Wayne County)

Not being a wise ass here but do you have to contact animal control after you pop it?

(Butler County)

I'm pretty sure there might be a difference, but once there was a rabid coon out in the daylight around our house and we had company. It was quite approachable and since we are in a residential neighborhood we "took care of it" with a shovel and promptly buried it in the small wooded area. My aunt thought the police should know and called them. They came said "where is the animal" we said "we took care of it and he is buried over there." Cop said "okay well have a nice day."

(Erie County)

ALL local guns laws apply. If you are in urban area, then discharge of your weapon may bring the leo to your door to do some paper work. You first call should probably be to animal control to come pick up the carcass.

A baseball bat or shovel is a good choice in urban settings if you ar enot looking for attention.

If it were me on the farm. No calls , no paper work needed.

In PA, the capture of any rabies vector species, then requires proper disposal. Re-locating said species is not allowed.

(Dauphin County)

When i was about 17 in maryland my neighbors husband was out of town, and it was just her and her children, and my father wasnt home either and there was a rabid racoon under their deck i walked across the yard and grabbed my 12ga threw some #6 shot in there and shot the coon. She was thankful...called the spca in maryland after i shot it and then said thanks...and they would be taking the animal to do an autopsy or something. no trouble....although we were semi out in the country. I would say if the neighbor are OK with it and its definitely rabid....pop it

If you have a rabid animal racoon/fox whatever , you need to contact the game commission immediately. Rabies is no joke.

If you feel threatend in any way IE: it's sitting on your porch or hangs out in places your kids play .

By all means smoke it and put it out of it's misery , BUT USE COMMON SENSE.

After you shoot it ,don't touch it. Call the game commission.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast