Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Getting ready to learn how to ride a Motorcycle... Advice please?

I know a lot of folks here ride motorcycles, so I figured I'd post here as well as on another forum I'm on for your opinions

So I'm almost ready to take the plunge... I'm in the process of reviewing the Pennsylvania State Motorcycle Operator Manual, as well as the book provided to people who take the Basic Riders Course... I'm going to go to get my M-class learner's permit within the next two weeks, and then once I have that I plan to register for the PA Motorcycle Safety Program Basic Rider's Course. (http://www.pamsp.com/Default.aspx)

It's and interesting bit of trivia to note - I haven't driven a motorcycle since I was about 17 - which is now 12 years ago (erk... now I feel old)

Is there any other reading that you guys would suggest I do? Preferably things I can find Online... since most of my time is spent in front of a computer, when I'm not at work driving.

After I complete all this Education shtuff, I'll start looking for my first bike... but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Getting ready to learn how to ride a Motorcycle... Advice please?

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

DUDE!

The Dobe's gonna get a bike!!

Sweet!

I'm out of comission at the moment, but hit up Joe Smith to go riding with. I'll join you if I ever get a bike this m.

(Philadelphia County)

Pennsylvania offers the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses. They are free of charge. The courses include riding sessions as well as class sessions. After you successfully complete the course, you will get your license to ride a MC. Before you take the course, you need a MC permit.

I highly recommend taking this course because they cover safe handling and proper responses to riding situations. PA laws are also covered.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=PA

(Delaware County)

You doing everything right so far... My only advice is to ride a bicycle to help remind your body about balance.
    The basic Motorcycle Safety Course will teach you all you need to know! They use smaller 250 motorcycles and the instructors are generally TOP notch!!

Bill above has given you plenty of info to start with.

Please keep us updated on your progress! What bike are you interested in buying?
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Perry County)

As everyone else has said, go through the state-offered Motorcycle Safety Course. It is definitely the easiest way to get your license, and it can bring some insurance discounts depending on your carrier.

Riding a motorcycle is alot like riding a bike - you never forget. When I took the course I was surprised by the variety of people - from those who had never been on a bike before (but had a brand new harley already ordered), to those who had grown up on dirt bikes and four wheelers, but not street bikes (myself), to those who had been riding with permits for 20+ years and just never got their license before. The course is completely tailored toward the absolute newbie who doesn't know the difference between the clutch and the brake, but it is good to get you comfortable on the bike again.

If/when you're looking to get a bike let me know as I have a really good starter bike that I might be interested in selling. It is a cruiser, 1995 Suzuki Intruder 800cc. Great bike, good condition, I'm just looking to upgrade...
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Mercer County)

I didn't take the course, but I had another rider teach me the ropes. He trained me on a little Honda Rebel 250. It was super easy to get the feel of the bike.

My only advice is to study the books for the test and pay attention to your instructor for the riding.

EDIT: Oh, yeah...I almost forgot. When it comes to riding, my instructor said "pretend that you're invisible." He's right - never, ever assume that automobile drivers see you. That little tidbit has saved my bacon (mmmmm...bacon) quite a few times.
    Last edited by Paradigm; April 6th, 2009 at 09:57 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Here is a tip from my experience:

Dont try to run down a cat on church property that is covered with leaves.

(Cambria County)

First and foremost. You must realize and understand that not one person in a car can see you, or cares about you. (At least it will feel that way anyway)

I grew up riding a dirt bike since I was 10. Then I started riding a road bike. I rode that bike all up and down the East coast. I had full rain gear and rode in any weather till it got to cold to ride. And I have never done anything else that has ever almost ended my life more often than riding that motorcycle has. I finally quit riding cause I decided that I wanted to grow old.

Out of about 20 buddies that I grew up riding with. I'm willing to bet that at least 12 of them have been in bad accidents. 7 of them have been hospitalized due to the accident. And 3 have lost body parts due to the accident.

Don't get me wrong. I loved to ride. But it just wasn't worth it anymore. People in cars just don't seem to care. And your the one going to lose in a accident.

With that said. Take a good safety course and have fun.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; April 6th, 2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: speliling
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Montgomery County)

The bicycle is a good idea for balance, but I'd suggest one with the pedal brakes, and that's just me.
    The first time I ever rode anything that wasn't pedal powered was about 15 years ago, and before that, all BMX.
    I was following my uncle on a trike, and he got way ahead of me and I wasn't familiar with where I was, so I tried to catch up. I came up on a sharper turn, and thinking BMX(right grip is rear brake), I hit that. After rolling, I ended up under the trike with my ankle crushed between the engine and a tree.
    Now I'm not sure if it was more fun rolling the thing or riding it back to the house, trying to shift with a mushy bloody mess of an ankle, but that incident kept me spooked for a long time.
    Damn, and I was so close to a Darwin award
    I'm not telling this story to scare you... well, maybe a little, but more of a reminder to know what you're doing, and that a seemingly small mistake can turn into a big problem.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast