Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default How do I quote a part of a post?

I did a couple of searches and found nothing of use. I've always been curious how to quote just a part of a post. For example, a sentence or so out of a paragraph that I would like to respond to. I see it done all the time and just never knew how its done. Thanks for any help.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Franklin County)

Default Re: How do I quote a part of a post?

You have to delete the additional text that you don't want to quote. There is no way to selectively quote text automatically.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    You have to delete the additional text that you don't want to quote. There is no way to selectively quote text automatically.
    Makes sense to me. Thanks Greg.

(Allegheny County)

someone sent me a PM asking me a very similar question a couple weeks ago. i have copied and pasted my response to him here in case it helps. (he was asking how you could break up a quote and respond to each sentence individually.)

the way to do it is to make your own "quote" tags.

when you quote a post, you will notice that the b-board automatically encloses the post in quote tags. at the beginning, there is a tag that looks something like this:

{QUOTE="username of person being quoted"}

except that the curly brackets {} are actually sqaure brackets []. this is the "start quote" or "open quote" tag.

(I can't use square brackets because the forum will think it is an open quote tag, and, thus hide it and show you this text quoted instead of showing you what i was trying to show you. So, I am replacing the square brackets with curly bracket so the forum software will show you what i have actually typed instead of reading it as a quote tag.)

at the end of the post you are quoting, the forum software adds a "close quote" tag which looks like this

{/QUOTE}

(except, again, with square brackets instead of curly ones)

now, you can skip the quoting of the username in the open quote text. so, the most basic open quote tag looks like this:

{QUOTE}

the real difference between an open quote and close quote tag is the slash before the Q.

any text that is surrounded by quote tags (an open quote tag at the beginning and a close quote tag at the end) will show up as quoted text in your post.

so, you just have to insert your own quote tags (by actually typing them into your reply).

so, for example, if you made a post that said:

sentence 1

sentence 2

sentence 3

and i quoted it, the forum would put this (except for using square brackets instead of curly ones) in my reply edit box:

{QUOTE="username"}sentence 1

sentence 2

sentence 3{/QUOTE}

to reply to each sentence individually, i would insert a close quote tag after sentence 1, and then an open quote tag before sentence 2, and a close quote tag after sentence 2, and an open quote before sentence 3. (the close quote tag for sentence 3 is already there).

so, it would look like this (except, again, it would use square brackets instead of curly ones):

{QUOTE="username"}sentence 1{/QUOTE}

my reply to sentence 1.

{QUOTE}sentence 2{/QUOTE}

my reply to sentence 2.

{QUOTE}sentence 3{/QUOTE}

my reply to sentence 3.

(you insert the quote tags just by literally typing them out).

that's all there is to it. i suggest using the preview post function to make sure you get it right before submitting the reply, though. it is easy to misspell quote or accidentally mix up the open and close quote tags and then the post won't turn out the way you want it to. you can preview the post to catch this.
    F*S=k

(York County)

Thanks LRT. I'll have to try that.

I've got to try this.
    How do you quote a few posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I've got to try this.
    Hit the multi-quote icon at the lower right of one of the posts that you want to quote, with the sunglasses. Then on another post hit "quote" (to the left of the multi-quote icon), and both posts should be quoted.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

I've got to try this.
    Without trying to sound condescending (I have no idea how much you know about coding), you need to be cognizant of the displayed text, and the markup language in your reply box.

[:quote=Michele;767117]I've got to try this.
    [/quote]

Red is the markup language, blue is the actual text that will be displayed.

Here's how I do it using Firefox.

1. Right click the "Quote" button for each post to be quoted. Open a new tab with the original post with the quote code with it.

2. Cut & paste the text plus the code tags in one post. Make certain to avoid nesting, unless the post was arranged that way originally.

Your message box should look like this. I added a colon as a code adulterant, so it will display:

How do you quote a few posts?[/quote]

[:quote=tes151;685138]Thanks LRT. I'll have to try that.[/quote]

For longer interlacing, I usually copy the quote ID tag and the closing tag in reverse order, so it looks like this (minus the colons):
    [:/quote][:quote=Michele;767117]

Placing the cursor right where I want to comment, and pasting splits the text, and my comments go in between the tags. Here's what it looks like:

Code:
    [:quote=Michele;767117]I've got to try this.[:/quote] It's easy, try it.[:quote=Michele;767117]
    How do you quote a few posts?[:/quote]Just read above.

Display:
    I've got to try this.
    It's easy, try it.
    Just read above.

This technique ([:/quote][:quote=Michele;767117]) has the advantage of packing all of my comments in one post, but addressing multiple posters or issues.

Does this help?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Without trying to sound condescending (I have no idea how much you know about coding), you need to be cognizant of the displayed text, and the markup language in your reply box.

Red is the markup language, blue is the actual text that will be displayed.

Here's how I do it using Firefox.

1. Right click the "Quote" button for each post to be quoted. Open a new tab with the original post with the quote code with it.

2. Cut & paste the text plus the code tags in one post. Make certain to avoid nesting, unless the post was arranged that way originally.

Your message box should look like this. I added a colon as a code adulterant, so it will display:

How do you quote a few posts?[/quote]

[:quote=tes151;685138]Thanks LRT. I'll have to try that.[/quote]

For longer interlacing, I usually copy the quote ID tag and the closing tag in reverse order, so it looks like this (minus the colons):
    [:/quote][:quote=Michele;767117]

Placing the cursor right where I want to comment, and pasting splits the text, and my comments go in between the tags. Here's what it looks like:

Code:
    [:quote=Michele;767117]I've got to try this.[:/quote] It's easy, try it.[:quote=Michele;767117]
    How do you quote a few posts?[:/quote]Just read above.

Display:
    It's easy, try it.Just read above.

This technique ([:/quote][:quote=Michele;767117]) has the advantage of packing all of my comments in one post, but addressing multiple posters or issues.

Does this help?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Hit the multi-quote icon at the lower right of one of the posts that you want to quote, with the sunglasses. Then on another post hit "quote" (to the left of the multi-quote icon), and both posts should be quoted.
    I think I got it.

Now, I just have to figure out how to take a quoted post apart like LRT described.

Thanks guys!