Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default euroarms bp revolver

i recently purchased a euro arms 1858 remington new model army replica its a .44 cal nice condition got it cheap but anyway i have no owners manual with it does anyone know what percussion caps i need for it? how much of a powder load would i need to run in it. im new to black powder this my first one dont want to mess it or me up when i take it out any advise would be great
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: euroarms bp revolver

lead round balls either cast or swagged. .451-.457, yes it's a .44 and these are the right balls. you'll want to stick closer to .451.

3f holy black...erra i mean black powder. anywhere from 24-35grs....with 35 being pretty close to the max you would want to use on a normal basis.

no.11 caps.

black powder leaves corrosive salts after the party. letting it sit a week or even a few days before cleaning is not an option.

hot water and either some bore butter or wonder lube is thats needed to remedy that.
    bp is a blast and well worth the hassle it brings. nothing like it at dusk in summer, smoke and fire comes out everywhere.

the '58s are real good shooters too. 50yrd shots are no problem for it.

side note.
    the 1858 remington introduced what we know as a tactical reload.
    the cylinder is easily removed from the frame, allowing a loaded cylinder to replace an empty cyl fairly easily.
    Last edited by brian; April 4th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lehigh County)

brain atleast for today you are my new best friend lol thank you cant wait to take this thing out once i get all the crap i need to shoot bp my dad had 3 .44's all limited edition ones we wanted to shoot them but didnt want to harm the value so i bought this one and since its nothing special its a go for the range

(Lebanon County)

the balls will not fit in the cylinder. when you load them a tiny sliver of lead will be shaven off.....it's designed that way.

(Jefferson County)

Dont forget to fully seat the ball on the powder. Airspace is a very bad thing with blackpowder, grenade-like bad thing..

(Lehigh County)

thanks guys one person told m to use a .457 ball in it i know it will shave off lead when putting it in cylinder i have heard that oneof the few things ive heard they actually lead balls or are they bullet shaped?

(Lebanon County)

balls are easiest to find and use. but they also make a bullet shaped projectile, they can be a pain to load.
    .457 is on the heavy side. the larger the ball, the more lead you shave off, the harder it is on the loading linkage.

I know there's a difference of opinion, But I would Crisco/Lube the cylinder after loading to avoid one of those nasty chain fires. It's a little extra caution that takes a minute and may save Both You and the Gun. Better safe than sorry.

Also as mentioned, they need to be cleaned immediately with Hot Soapy water, It's best to completely strip them down, But if you're unsure of how, at least flush out the Cylinder and Barrel and wipe down the outside.

They are incredibly loads of fun to shoot!

Good Luck, If you need anymore help, We're here.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 93-2.3 View Post
    thanks guys one person told m to use a .457 ball in it i know it will shave off lead when putting it in cylinder i have heard that oneof the few things ive heard they actually lead balls or are they bullet shaped?
    Just use lead balls. Conical bullets are a bitch to load without deforming it and can cause excessive pressure due to the weight.

Balls will give you plenty of accuracy. And are less likely to tumble in flight due to both end of the swaged ball weighing the same. The ball will be out of round once its chambered, more like an oval projectile.

(Lehigh County)

thank you guys like i said im new to black powder info is good helps me along. i always wanted one and have been looking at those cheap 50 dollar boot pistols to try out black powder. but anyway i picked up this beast for 140 its older but it was never fired and came with box so i guess its kinda a new in box. i think i did good price wise what do ya'll think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast