Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 45 Gap

(Cambria County)

Default 45 Gap

I was looking at getting another 45 ACP, when I hear about this thing called a 45 GAP (yes, I have been away from the gun scene for a while). Thought it was some wierd 45 ACP round like a Glaser Safety Slug. Then after some research, I find out what is all about. I haven't seen anyone on this site talking about them. Are they worth looking at? It would seen like the perfect concealed carry weapon. Small frame with big hole maker. Why aren't the Big Bore Fans out there jumping all over this round.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 45 Gap

Glock did a good job designing the cartridge and taking advantage of new powders with optimum burn rates. However, it appears that bullet weights are much more limited than with the .45ACP.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    It would seen like the perfect concealed carry weapon. Small frame with big hole maker.
    The .45 GAP filled a very small part of the market, ie. those people that wanted a .45 but whose hands are too small for a full sized .45 ACP pistol. Ballistically, the .45 GAP won't do anything more than the .45 ACP can. It's main advantage is a smaller platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Why aren't the Big Bore Fans out there jumping all over this round.
    I believe most big bore fans already have the .45 ACP and are satisfied with it. I would feel just as safe carrying the .45 GAP, but I already have several pistols chambered in .45 ACP. Personally, I think the GAP round is a solution looking for a problem and the main reason Glock came out with it was so Gaston could get his name on a cartridge before he dies.

I think a better move for Glock would have been to apply the slimline design of the G36 to the rest of their line. If they would have slimmed down the slides and frames of the 17/19/22/23 enough to take a ten round, single stack mag, they would have sold like hotcakes!

Thumbs down Re: 45 Gap

Talk on the street is that Pa. State Police are trading in their Berettas & Going to the Glock in the 45 Gap!
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Bedford County)

I have also heard that the Pa. State Police will be going with the Glock in .45 GAP.

I agree with the above in that the GAP will do nothing that the .45 ACP can't except fit in the hands of smaller shooters. And the fact that the .45 GAP will never catch on because those of us that love the .45 have found a handgun design that we love to shoot.

I love the Glock G21, but many shooters claim it is too fat, and to be honest..it is a tad thick...but makes a great duty weapon.

The new .357 sig puts the 124 grain "manstopper" into a high capacity autoloading pistol. Something new, and perhaps wanted by some. But the .45 GAP isn't an improvement on anything except frame size.

I'll pass.

(Erie County)

Whats the capacity on a 45 GAP? When I was looking into/purchased my XD 45 I noticed they made a GAP version, but it was only 9+1 rounds.

I love the progression of handguns our gov't goes through on both the federal (army) and state level. I swear they are always switching calibers, each time with a reason why they just found out the new guns are better.

Talking Re: 45 Gap

I think the Gap 45 will be like the 10mm. It will not be a very popular round . How often do you see a 10mm??
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Cambria County)

Wasn't the idea behind the GAP to make the pistol smaller, so it would be easier to conceal along with fitting smaller hands? Having carried a 45 for a couple years. I know keeping it concealed limited my wardrobe and how I could dress.

You would think that if you guys could have your big bore and hide it better too, you all would jump on this. Why isn't it catching on quicker? Hey, it gives you a reason to buy a new pistol. Always a good thing.

If you didn't already have a 45 and were buying for the first time. Would you go with the GAP now for better concealment? Or would you stick with the bigger ACP round and pistol?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%