Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Holster idea, interchangable pieces?

After reading a lot of holster reviews it sounds like just about everyone has a load of holsters laying around that are never used... and holsters are expensive.

It makes me wonder why an "ala cart" type holster was never made / sold. (that I'm aware of)

Taking something like the Crossbreed style holster would be fairly easy to pick and choose parts from to allow the same holster for different modes of carry, different guns, different locations... etc.

For example:

- making all Kydex pieces to fit a standard line up of holes would allow just purchasing an inexpensive piece and then attaching it to the backing the user already has

- Selling alternate backings would allow the same clips and Kydex pieces to be used for a SOB holster, or alternate holes in the standard backing would allow this as well

- Selling different sized "standard" backings would allow OWB by turning the clips around the other way

- This could also allow larger or smaller backings to fit the individual user and even changing depending on the weather... etc without having to replace the entire holster every time. thus allowing carry just about anywhere in any manner with just one holster "kit"

or am I alone in this line of thinking?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Holster idea, interchangable pieces?

FYI ............ My Don Hume JIT 41 will hold my Taurus PT745, Glock 30, Sig P6, Sig P220's and my recently acquired Sig P226R-S, all fit great in that one holster!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Big Dog; June 7th, 2008 at 09:16 AM.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Monroe County)

what do you use if you want to hold IWB?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Because it wouldn't provide as much profit to have inexpensive replacement parts.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Because it wouldn't provide as much profit to have inexpensive replacement parts.
    Oh yeah. I forgot about profit.

(Fayette County)

i believe this has already been done by Comptac but thats with the interchangeable bodies on their IWB. they do it with their OWBs aswell but you need either or both

but i've never seen a holster that can be switched from IWB to OWB with interchangeable bodies

(Butler County)

Not that i claim to be any authority on holsters,

but mine has an interchangeable beltclip that can be moved to either side. Its great for going from on the hip to in the wast, you just slip the beltclip off, and put it on the other side.

Now if i could only remember who made it. Believe it or not it doesnt say on it. Just has a made in the USA tag.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    After reading a lot of holster reviews it sounds like just about everyone has a load of holsters laying around that are never used... and holsters are expensive.

It makes me wonder why an "ala cart" type holster was never made / sold. (that I'm aware of)

Taking something like the Crossbreed style holster would be fairly easy to pick and choose parts from to allow the same holster for different modes of carry, different guns, different locations... etc.

For example:

- making all Kydex pieces to fit a standard line up of holes would allow just purchasing an inexpensive piece and then attaching it to the backing the user already has

- Selling alternate backings would allow the same clips and Kydex pieces to be used for a SOB holster, or alternate holes in the standard backing would allow this as well

- Selling different sized "standard" backings would allow OWB by turning the clips around the other way

- This could also allow larger or smaller backings to fit the individual user and even changing depending on the weather... etc without having to replace the entire holster every time. thus allowing carry just about anywhere in any manner with just one holster "kit"

or am I alone in this line of thinking?
    Sounds like a blend of Comp-Tacs Infidel and MTAC with an OWB attachment.

Infidel MTAC
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

I've made a holster out of Legos. Is this what you meant by interchangeable pieces?

(Franklin County)

There was something similar to this concept at the NRA convention, but I didn't grab any literature because it didn't appeal to me and I can't find it via google.

Not sure about the IWB/OWB conversion, but the basic concept was a platform that would attach to your belt and/or tac vest and would then accept multiple holsters, accessories etc. Interesting concept if you have alot of different gear, as it was highly adjustable/customizable, but just didn't look like something that I'd use.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast