Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Prosecutors will be violated

I've noticed this ongoing trend of charging people with vehicular homicide even when the driver was not drinking. I can remember as a kid saying to myself, "so the kids were out drinking and messed up". Now I find myself asking "what did this person do that was soo wrong". They were speeding, they didn't use a turn signal, they did not know how to CONTROL their vehicle. Yes, they are idiots. Do they have to go to prison?

My point is, DUI(as far as I know) was not a big deal in this state..(20s-70s), until NHSTA & MADD stats started skewing the game and controlling federal funding. Then DUI became a huge deal. Shortly there after mandatory min. jail sentences were enacted for drunk drivers who killed someone. This has now morphed into a completely different thing.

Apparently, people are being locked up for "vehicular homicide" for driving too fast. This is nuts.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Prosecutors will be violated

If someone loses their life because of someone else's negligence while operating a motor vehicle, the underlying factors (speed, alcohol, etc.) shouldn't matter one bit.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

I agree with gnbrotz.. ya drive and kill someone you SHOULD be punished.... DEAD IS DEAD... its the same as if ya used a gun, bat, knife or whatever....... YOU know that you are supposed to drive responsibly and when ya break the rules you have to pay the price.
    Last edited by schr8er2000; June 8th, 2008 at 03:13 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jup06 View Post
    until NHSTA & MADD stats started skewing the game and controlling federal funding. .
    I need supporting data for this statement.

Apparently, people are being locked up for "vehicular homicide" for driving too fast. This is nuts.
    So it's ok to Kill an innocent person while driving too fast, or it deserves no punishment, what is nuts about that ??

(Montgomery County)

Rather than quote myself...
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...tml#post308552

If you were drinking, and got behind the wheel, you were an idiot. If you were drinking, got behind the wheel and murdered someone, you are a criminal. I think they are entirely to light on Vehicular Homicide. Sentences need to be upped, and they need to start swinging that hammer a lot harder at scum that drink and drive.

People wouldn't be charged with vehicular homicide if someone didn't die. Speeding, alcohol, inexperience, driving distracted, they are dead and the driver killed them. Drop the hammer.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    If someone loses their life because of someone else's negligence while operating a motor vehicle, the underlying factors (speed, alcohol, etc.) shouldn't matter one bit.
    Why is that? If that person who DIED were not in that car, the DRIVER might have gotten a ticket for failure to stop, failure to yield, speeding, driving too fast for conditions, reckless driving,etc... Now by your rationale, you can basically place blame upon anyone who has ever been in control of a car, airplane, boat, jetski, hovercraft, snowmobile and had a passenger killed? What comprises negligence?

And as far as auto-accidents are concerned, the dead (they are not victims) rarely have a seat belt on, front or rear. Which perhaps, all automobiles should have big idiot-proof letters that read, SEAT BELTS REQUIRED FOR SAFE OPERATION, not a nation-wide scare tactic of the "click it-or ticket".

Again, who decides NEGLIGENCE?

(Berks County)

I could be wrong, and this is only my perspective, but I think the point the OP is trying to make is that charging them with vehicular homocide implies an intent to do harm as if they planned to lose control of the vehicle and kill someone.

If an accident happens and someone dies, its still an accident. Negligent Vehicular Homocide, Involuntary Manslaughter, or some other charge that that existst to deal with unintentional killings would be a better way to go about it.

{EDIT}
    leaving my original post intact, just want to state that my misunderstanding of some legal terms concerning death has been corrected.
    {/EDIT}
    Last edited by mjfletcher; June 7th, 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added a note
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    I agree with gnbrotz.. ya drive and kill someone you SHOULD be punished.... DEAD IS DEAD... its the same as if ya used a gun, bat, knife whatever... YOU know that you are supposed to drive responsibly and when ya break the rules you have to pay the price.
    You don't care about intention?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Rather than quote myself...
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...tml#post308552

If you were drinking, and got behind the wheel, you were an idiot. If you were drinking, got behind the wheel and murdered someone, you are a criminal. I think they are entirely to light on Vehicular Homicide. Sentences need to be upped, and they need to start swinging that hammer a lot harder at scum that drink and drive.

People wouldn't be charged with vehicular homicide if someone didn't die. Speeding, alcohol, inexperience, driving distracted, they are dead and the driver killed them. Drop the hammer.
    I agree. I just caught part of a news story on the radio the other day where a guy pleaded guilty to his sixth AND seventh DUI. That is absolutely ridiculous. It's a miracle he hasn't killed anyone.

(Franklin County)

Again, who decides NEGLIGENCE?
    A jury, based on the established legal definition in the area the offense occurred.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast